why is this happening to me in biology? (1 Viewer)

porcupinebaby

HSC
I just got my biology results back for the maintianing a balance and bluetprint of life prac and theory test which is worth 30% of my hsc mark.

To me it was shit i got 81%. i expeced myself to get at least 90% because i studied for 2 weeks on biology every day till 1 in the morning. Instead the girls that got over 90% did not study as much as i did (i know because i asked them how they studied) also i came 1st in the year for biology in yr 11 so i thought i might come first again this year.

What the hell is happening. will ialways be like this for the HSC. Has anybody had this before any of their subjects? please reply ifeel like shit?:cry:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol how about stop caring what everyone is else doing/going and worry about yourself

81% is a respectable mark and as long as your ranking is sound, theres no problem.

crying over spilt milk etc.

Kralex

HSC
I just got my biology results back for the maintianing a balance and bluetprint of life prac and theory test which is worth 30% of my hsc mark.

To me it was shit i got 81%. i expeced myself to get at least 90% because i studied for 2 weeks on biology every day till 1 in the morning. Instead the girls that got over 90% did not study as much as i did (i know because i asked them how they studied) also i came 1st in the year for biology in yr 11 so i thought i might come first again this year.

What the hell is happening. will ialways be like this for the HSC. Has anybody had this before any of their subjects? please reply ifeel like shit?:cry:
Maybe that was your problem? You should have at least taken the weekends off as a break to digest all the study :)

Its only a minor blip anyway and you'll probably get back to the top.

bouncing

HSC
Dont worry, theres nothing you can really do about it now.
Just wait until the next assessment comes around and you will smash them :)

Also, studying habits differ for everyone both in time and effectiveness - ie. perhaps (just a suggestion here) you shouldnt stay up to1am everyday because it reduces the amount of sleep you get (ps you should be getting 7 hours a day to retain good memory of what you've learnt)

sinophile

HSC
N/A

I was in a similar situation as you. My first assesment was a prac worth 30% and I only got 80%. Most other students, even stupid ones that didn't study, easily exceeded 95%. This made me feel really shit. My failure forced me to correct my approach and I gunned over 95% thereafter, coming first in the grade.

The road to success is paved with failure. In fact, failure is not the opposite of success, its a powerful way of getting you to success. Its good that this failure shocks you, because it means you'll have more drive than everyone else after this assesment. Use this opportunity to correct your approach.

For example, you began studying two weeks beforehand, which is a very good habit. You should keep that habit. But you should kick the habit of studying until 1, unless your bedtime is normally 1:30. Your brain needs adequate rest to process all your experiences for the day.

Is your study efficient? I had a friend who said she studied seven hours a day. When I went over to her house I found out that those seven hours of study weren't efficient. She distracted herself with music from the iPod, ate while she studied and went on Facebook every five minutes. When studying you need undivided, focused attention.

Were you studying the right thing? Maybe you studied one thing, but something else altogether was in the exam. Or maybe you were making summaries, when what you should be doing is something more relevant to the task, such as doing past exam questions about pracs.

Anyway I hope that cheers you up :drink:

mioumiou

HSC
I was in a similar situation as you. My first assesment was a prac worth 30% and I only got 80%. Most other students, even stupid ones that didn't study, easily exceeded 95%. This made me feel really shit. My failure forced me to correct my approach and I gunned over 95% thereafter, coming first in the grade.

The road to success is paved with failure. In fact, failure is not the opposite of success, its a powerful way of getting you to success. Its good that this failure shocks you, because it means you'll have more drive than everyone else after this assesment. Use this opportunity to correct your approach.

For example, you began studying two weeks beforehand, which is a very good habit. You should keep that habit. But you should kick the habit of studying until 1, unless your bedtime is normally 1:30. Your brain needs adequate rest to process all your experiences for the day.

Is your study efficient? I had a friend who said she studied seven hours a day. When I went over to her house I found out that those seven hours of study weren't efficient. She distracted herself with music from the iPod, ate while she studied and went on Facebook every five minutes. When studying you need undivided, focused attention.

Were you studying the right thing? Maybe you studied one thing, but something else altogether was in the exam. Or maybe you were making summaries, when what you should be doing is something more relevant to the task, such as doing past exam questions about pracs.

Awww, once again, thanks for another lovely advice! I've got the same problem with studying as well. Maybe I should try that (as in having fully focus attention) :uhhuh:

+1 for this post!!

porcupinebaby

HSC

Thank you so much

your message has made me stop feeling under pressure.

fortunately for me i don not have any distractions at home except fore neighbours. (i told my mum to get rid of useless technology e.g. ipod, tv)

I find it hard to sleep i bit more ear;ly because i am so busy and i am behind schedule

but thank you very much

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you're studying efficiently. No use studying for 6 hours straight if you can only absorb half the information someone else can get from studying for 1 hour

The task is over now.. nothing you can do about it. Just aim to improve and do well in the next task =D

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
its more important in achieving personal best. Also in exams and biology in particular, it is not about lack of knowledge. it is about reading the questions properly. The people i know in school know so much more about biology than me, they can go into specific details however when it comes to exams, they dont read the questions properly. For e.g. it asks to describe and identify ______ but they only describe... there goes half their marks for that question.

Also studying so late does not help. I go by the phrase study smart and not study hard meaning study in a way that helps you know ur stuff. Don't study like cramming.

ImAgInE94

HSC
the reason you got that mark was because you studied too hard! you put your self under too much pressure and stress and on the day your brain couldn't handle it all.

stop and have breaks when you study. i know you hear it all the time but seriously it works!
the same thing happened to me in english. i expected to get great markes cause i studied soo much but i ened up geting better in legal which i didn't study much for.

good luck in your other exams!:drink:

youandmexo

HSC
how about you be quiet you little arts twat?

wah wah u have an essay wah wah wah
wtf. really mature judging people by the degree they chose. ever thought not everyone is interested in the degrees you are?

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
wtf. really mature judging people by the degree they chose. ever thought not everyone is interested in the degrees you are?
yeah and ever thought not everyone is satisfied with 81%? personal goals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)