why isn't geog taken up by the masses (1 Viewer)

ecouch

HSC
why is geography such an unpopular subject ..... my friends laughed at me when i started it in yr 11 ....... why is it that people love the history subjects but dont have the time in the world for geog, personally i love it and history to me seems to be the single most boring subject that you can do in yr 11/12 (english excepting) yet at my school at least, it is extremely popular, i really don't get it

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
I think it is because yr 9/10 geography massacres all the good things about geography and focus on all the really boring stuff. It frustrates me too. Whenever i tell anybody that i do geography they say "omg that so boring" and sometimes laugh (except for the physics nerds who snort and cackle) Oh, it frustrates me so!

Either that or they feel intimidated by our superiority and intellect! :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
people like different subjects...theres like over 6000+ students that took up geog this year so its not that few...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
The_highwayman said:
I think it is because yr 9/10 geography massacres all the good things about geography and focus on all the really boring stuff.
got it in one! history at least borders on giving us a taste of what senior history might be like but juniour geo just slaughters everything that might entice a student to take it up

that said, perhaps the miconception is so far ranging, it'll be hard to correct

ecouch

HSC
yeah im cool (not)

its shocking hey!!! multi-choice, short answer and then 3 essays in 3 hours, in bio we get three hours to answer some multi and short answer .............. but i wouldnt trade it in for the world

geography freak for life

ecouch

HSC
way earlier in bio ......... what did u guys think of your geog trials

personally i went in there and forgot all the facts im supposed to remember like the spatial patterns of tourism and im not even going to go into my dodgy london essay

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
ecouch said:
why is geography such an unpopular subject
at my school, it hasn't run for some many years that the interest is down -- and then they offer the subject, people take it and they still cut it for supposed lack of numbers.. despite the teacher agreeing to take without the expected amount.. grr.

so after that, and earth and environ. getting cut as well - on to ancient history. x_x

blame the lack of awareness.

alita

HSC
ecouch said:
way earlier in bio ......... what did u guys think of your geog trials

personally i went in there and forgot all the facts im supposed to remember like the spatial patterns of tourism and im not even going to go into my dodgy london essay
Yeah my tourism/matilda cruises essay was only a page and a bit long... :/ I managed to write 3 pages for the other two though so hopefully that will make up for it (my writting is really small).

Our teacher set our trial, the multipe choice were way too easy though. I finished in less than 15 minutes. I'd rather they were harder as I reckon most of the class will get them right.

ecouch

HSC
that sucks about those subjects being cut, thats the advantage of going to a senior college, there are so many students that classes run, the demand just indicates on how many lines the class will run ....... so glad i changed schools

hahahaha i wish i had small writing, i can easily write an 8pg essay for the subjects that ask of it, such a massive waste of paper, but i can't help it .... its just a massive scrawl across page after page

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Same here! my writing has this uncanny ability to stretch itself so that each word becomes about 1.5 times longer and about half as tall when i do exams. i average 6 A4 pages for geography exams. i dont regret my writing being so large. i would rather read large writing than small writing

ecouch

HSC
my wirting is large enough for even the blindest of people to read, however it becomes difficult because my letters become joined and it then makes it difficult to tell what the word actually says ..... even worse for the words i don't know how to spell, i feel sorry for the poor teachers that have to mark my exams

AbeGettysburg

HSC
geography is life

geography is such a great subject (except maybe for the maths component) - it's relevant to everyone as if we don't look after the planet we soon won't have one! The best part about geog is the field work - things in text books say one thing but often if you put it to the test you find something different. for example all these environmental flows in the barmah-millewa forest - i went on a field study and found no enviro flows near Dharnya centre since 1993 - the 2000 enviro flows never made it that far!

has anyone else done a survey yet in relation to urban dynamics or a tourism enterprise. i found it a bit daunting approaching a large international hotel but i must say they were quite helpful. i think i might check out pyrmont in the holidays so i have something to write about in the exams.

in task 2 i studied up on urban dynamics and the role of world cities, but the essay question was on mega cities!! luckily that was one of my favourite topics.

it sure is stressful fitting in all the assignments and tasks and i'm only a part timer. don't know how you full timers can hack the pressure. well done.

alita

HSC
AbeGettysburg said:
it sure is stressful fitting in all the assignments and tasks and i'm only a part timer. don't know how you full timers can hack the pressure. well done.
I'm only doing the hsc part time too... I'm at tafe so I'll have another year to go after this. I have medical problems so I couldn't imagine doing the hsc full time. I checked your profile...which tafe do you go to? I'm at ultimo. :) But what's this about a survey? We never had to do that...

Anyway yeah my writting is really small...it used to be even smaller. In year 7 and 8 my teachers would always tell me to write bigger because they couldn't read it. It's improved a bit since though...

AbeGettysburg

HSC
Fieldwork etc.

i'm a student with OTEN (Open Training & Education Network) which is for external Tafe students.

when we studied urban dynamics we were encouraged to conduct a survey of people about any issue related to the topic. I was going to write up a questionnaire about the social impacts of urban renewal in Pyrmont eg. what do residents think about the Jackson's Landing Development or do they think that the mixed development of commercial and residential has been successful.

Alas I didn't do it but i think it would be a good thing to do and the way i understand it we have to write about it in the final exam (but maybe that's optional).

As for the latest topic, an economic enterprise - we had to do a report which involved fieldwork. This meant either a personal interview or telephone interview from someone in authority in the chosen enterprise. Actually this was a great exercise and i found out alot of info to help me with my report.

hope u are not too sick this year - good luck with your study.

ecouch

HSC
why don't you look at the board of studies website on it there is the syllabus which outlines what you need to know for geog, it doesn't actually include having to do any surveys, but it would be good just to 'drop' into your final essays, i do the hsc full time, and the requirements are that we have to do X amount of fieldwork hours, so we do them as a class, which is good because we know what to look for the teacher is there helping us. For urban dynamics we looked at a small town near the school, we havent yet done the tourism fieldwork - which we will be visiting a local resort for information (as a class again), so i suppose that it is actually a good thing in doing the hsc at a school is that we have to do the fieldwork as a class!! full time isnt that bad ....... you just need to have time management skills

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)