why? (1 Viewer)

SgtSlick

I must know, did u people do religion by choice? u do know that religion is just a form of control? i am athiest and am proud, so yeah. I know many of u will say that religion is not flase and that its great, but u a simply brainwashed...

flosh's gurl

i'm at a catholic school and religion is compulsary for every student like english is. i have to say though that given the choice i probably would have done it anyways. the religion course isn't about talking about how great god or allah or whoever your chosen religion believes in. most of the course is history based. its about the development of religion in australia, the impact that religion had on the aboriginal people (stolen generation, land rights ect)and an option topic where you compare two religions views, practices, famous figure ect. i'm not religious and many of the people i go to school with arnt either, i'm not sure whether i believe in a god but i did like the religion course. fair enough that you believe religion to be brainwashing or indoctrination whatever, but for some people they find religion a source of understand and comfort, and if thats their choice let them be, many of them are still great people.

Leap

free falling
HSC
I didn't choose to do religion, its compulsary at my school.
But its not actually a bad course. Personally, I think organised religion is a form of conformity, and like you said SgtSlick, brainwashing.
However, its actually kinda interesting learning about some of the things people believe, even if those beliefs seem crazy to me. And it helps you to understand people better, and the religious reasons behind their choices.
Besides, the course isn't asking you to believe in religion, its simply asking you to believe that OTHER people believe in religion.

srgt slik or watever ur name is,,
religion is one of the best subjects in the HSC
i can see your athiest but we all do some respect

DC10

in my school (sydney technical high school) , studies of religion 1 is offered as an accelerated subject.

i also CHOOSE to do religion..

i don't get why other people do psychology (not counted) when they can have this opportunity to use up 1 unit of HSC (studies of religion 1) before yr 12.

those people wasted their time doing psychology anyway :D

this also means that if i do 4 unit maths or 4 unit english i'd get to do 13 units altogether... or even drop down to 9units (religion 1 finished) ... though i wonder if that's possible..

the bad thing about religion is scaling and look at last year's band 6 people :( (0.48%??) :chainsaw:

Last edited:

CoYLiE

Originally posted by SgtSlick
lame...

:spam:
it is compulsory at my school, but i was offered a way out of it because i did philosophy. but still i chose to do it because i knew it was going to be beneficial for my marks in the end.
if you actually look at it reasonably for a second, if you chose to do SORII and ended up getting in the 80s or even 90s, the scaling will end up being unimaginable, mainly cos most ppl don't care about it and that puts you wayyy above the state average. so it is one of the best subjects, if you put some effort into it, you'll end up going really good.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
religion is compulsory at my school but am glad i did it. scales well but also i found the course interesting. made me appreciate other religions but it also made me question many things.

Pretz

Hang on Slick, you're saying I'm brainwashed because I believe in God? Who was it that did this brainwashing?

And how do you know that all religions are forms of control? You've studied all of them have you?

1 more

fructis
HSC
It, or another religious subject, were compulsory at my school during the preliminary course. (it is a religious school.) We were allowed to drop it for the HSC, but I rather enjoyed the subject- and ended up coming 7th in the state- good on me. ;)

lbft

Geek
HSC
At my school we had to do either Catholic Studies (which is essentially a bludge subject and a waste of time that isn't board developed) or Studies of Religion I which can be counted towards the UAI. I'm glad I chose Studies of Religion as I've found it very interesting since it examines a diverse range of religious traditions and their place in Australian society, and I'm looking forward to doing it next year for my HSC.

SgtSlick, you need to realise that religion is different things to different people. Everyone has the right to follow a religion, just as you have the right to not follow a religion. :p

DC10, in this year's HSC, 8.00% of people who did Studies of Religion I and 7.34% of people who did Studies of Religion II got a band 6.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Just letting oyu know, SOR is actually kinda cool, i did no work for it (my teacher was crazy and didnt realise that students were meant to be in the class room for classes and i wasnt going to correct him) and ended up woth 92, it was very easy as long as you do some good cramming the week before.

Christine

beige member
HSC
Religion is actually a very good subject. You learn about culture, diversity, history, the foundations of our society....

it was prolly the most interesting course i took bar ancient

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Just pay attention

At my skool we had to do either 1 unit or 2 unit. Its a very interesting course i think its just up to the teacher and the student in terms of motivation etc. The exams aren't that bad I mean I topped Re at my skool from the hundered and something students that did 1 unit and it though ! seriously stuffed the 1 unit exams seeing as i didn't get to really finish the last section (even though i wrote 15 pages :D ) really didn't revise until the nite b4 and i ended being one of the best in the state!! But i can thank that for knowing my stuff all year thus putting in the effort all year and listening in class, which made revision very very simple!!!!!!!!

needtostudy

religion was compulsory for my skool.
i really don't like religion and don't know how studies scales.
but i am running on 10 units so i guess i must count it.

mkomko

my school makes us do religion but u have to have a minimum of 11 units (i.e. counting the 1 unit of compulsory religion).

Rahul

Dead Member
i go to a catholic skool and i had to do religion. i had the choice to do 1 or 2 u. i decided that if i am going to do sum, work i mite aswell make it count so i did 2u. so far i am doin well (even tho i am not christian). i spose u need to b good at eng to go well at 2u re.

btw got 100 % for my isp.....*LOL*....told u doin well.....no but seriously, its a good subject, boring at tyms tho. scales well too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)