Wild Swans - Different Readings! Please Help! (1 Viewer)

stryder_au

[ - єsçãpè - ]
HSC
Wild Swans by Jung Chang - Different Readings! Please Help!

Not many people are studying this text but I need help! In responses, it is important to refer to at least two different readings of the text, but is it absolutely necessary to discuss the dominant and resistant readings (ie. western & communist)? Can I just discuss two alternate readings (ie. political and feminist)?

PLEASE HELP! o_o

Last edited:

hikari

HSC
lmao, it was never specified by the rubric or the question that you had to discuss it.

it's just easier because there's more information on it and what not. as long as it fits the question and you can write 6+ pages on the whole thing, GO AHEAD MY FRIEND :)

omg back to study.

annaj

HSC
Wild Swans! errrr

I am also doing Wild Swans... this module is my weakest and i find the queations always difficult! I understand the contexts but i need techniques..... it it essential when quoting or citing to refernece the page number also??

emma_o2

HSC
im the opposite..i get the techniques but not the context...?? is is just that it was around the first world war and stuff?

annaj

HSC
Context

There are three contexts that you are being asked to consider....

1) The context in which the author wrote and her his/her first readers read the text
2) The context in which the characters in the text live
3) The context in which YOU are living and in which you, therfore, read the text.

Are the techniques simply the use of first person, the type of genres, emotive language ect?? what eles is there?..... :cool:

veridis

droog
HSC
stryder_au said:
Not many people are studying this text but I need help! In responses, it is important to refer to at least two different readings of the text, but is it absolutely necessary to discuss the dominant and resistant readings (ie. western & communist)? Can I just discuss two alternate readings (ie. political and feminist)?

PLEASE HELP! o_o
if you wanna make it hard for yourself go ahead. seriously you can bring in a lot more and do a much more well rounded essay just by comparing dominant and critical. just by using an ambiguous title like literary critic or academic you can pretty much spout out anything at all we learnt and show off as much as you know. commie reading is hard cause you have to focus mainly of content as thats the issue most commies would have, textual integrity can be mentioned but isnt that central and context is more west vs commie without as much emphasis on personal involvement and subjectivity.

annaj

HSC
but is does depend on the question and how your going to approach it!
what do people pedict the questionwill be??

HSC
N/A
annaj said:
but is does depend on the question and how your going to approach it!
what do people pedict the questionwill be??

yes

its module b yeh?
well...last years question was interpretations of texts changes with time and place

the time referes to its initial recption compared to modern reception and question of textual integrity

changes with place is where you can bring in your readings, in your case you can probably have different contexts of reading such as the communist, historical, dominant??

Squeak69

HSC
wild swans info

emma_o2 said:
im the opposite..i get the techniques but not the context...?? is is just that it was around the first world war and stuff?
Just something that might help you.

* Time is passing, Yeats is feeling the pain of time passing and the 'break down' of society as he knows it.
* '...my heart is sore. All's changed since...' para. 3 - Life has changed in the 19yrs since he last saw the swans
* The swans 'stand for' (they are a metaphor) the life before WW1 and the irish civil war.
Swans = grace
white = pure/innocence
these things are flying away.
*paragraph 4 can have the possible connection to the swans and the soldiers of WWI
*'there hearts have not grown old' para. 4 - look at the ode of remembrance 'they shall not grow old as we that are left grow old'
* can be interpreted as a lament for life pre-war
* can be interpreted as sadness about growing old in general

*growing old POV 'I have become sadder at times passage who will look at the swans when i'm gone'

annaj

HSC
I think their in the wrong thread! go to the yeats thread! lol

Does Anyone dislike Wild Swans the most out of all the modules! I do!!!!

HSC
N/A
Squeak69 said:
Just something that might help you.

* Time is passing, Yeats is feeling the pain of time passing and the 'break down' of society as he knows it.
*growing old POV 'I have become sadder at times passage who will look at the swans when i'm gone'

i think they meant wild swans as in the biography by some asian lady not one of yeats poems =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)