• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

wilfred owen.. (1 Viewer)

wallid

HSC
do you guys suggest we know each poem thoroughly because they may specify which ones to talk about??

the only one i have seen them ask about is dulce.. and im doing that one anyway

should i definately know them all just as well?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's not a bad idea...if it wont kill you. For short poems like Futility, it's not too hard to learn, especially if you en up analysing the whole thing line by line almost. But for the big ones like Dulce, I find that just key quotes work i.e the similies, a few brutal verbs, fatigue words and probably the end bit "My friend........"
It's not likely that they'll specify is it? Ive seen Dulce specified once, but that's the obvious one.

Gemstone

My teacher told us know 2 really well, 2 sorta well and 2 just a little so that if they ask for them you at least have something. If they ask they normally put the poem in but they don't have too.

Gemma

princessx0x0

As noone is entirely sure of what were sposed to know, i suggest knowing 2 extremely well as gemstone said. I dont think they'll ask specific questions as that is alot of content to know. They'll probably ask for the use of two in a speech or something along those lines.
Also, i think Dulce is an extremely favoured poem by many people - its sposebly the main Owen poem (?) so im studying that one as one of my mains..
Good luck!

a_person86

HSC
The teachers at my school suggested to know three poems, the CSSA Trial paper this year had 3. I recommend learning Dulce and Anthem of a Doomed Youth, I reckon their his best poems. Know a bit about another poem just in case they ask 3, I gonna use Send Off.

I notice that the 2 students that got the highest marks in this module for 2002 used both Dulce and Anthem of a Doomed Youth, that somewhat shows us it is worth learning!

Gemstone

Yeah the CSSA trial this year asked for 3. That kindda threw me off a bit but I ended up doing quite well in it. My main two are Send Off and Futility or Next War.

mrfrya

I was asked to specifically use "The Next War" in my Trial. I got 19 out of 20 becuase i knew Willy Owen back to front.

The question will probably ask
A)Whats the aim of his poetry and
B)What Techniques does he use to achieve his aim

his aim is to show the home front the horrors of war and to criticise those who hide the horrors of war and send more people to war (aka the govt) this is displayed in the Next war in the line 'they will war on death for life, not men for flags'. this is directed at the govt. etc, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)