will i be eligible for anything?! (1 Viewer)

artist91

HSC
hi.. i'm from qld. i'm most probably moving down to sydney next year for uni. hopefully get into a residential college at usyd. anyway, i'm jw if i'll be eligible for any type of centrelink payment.

i'm guessing i won't be able to get YA because my dad earns above the threshold.

this totally sucks because i will be working part time in sydney and paying for my college fees and living expenses myself.

is there anyway to get around this?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
you should be eligible for youth allowance
coz if you're an independent (i.e. independent from your parents) im fairly sure they don't take into consideration your parents earnings.
plus there's a subsection for living away from home

artist91

HSC
usyd is better than uq for what i want to do. and i want to get out of brisbane after living here 18 yrs. and i'm not jewish lol. i think you can only become independent after earning like 17,000 which is going to take me a while! oh well.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
if your parents earn above the threshold then you'll have to qualify as independent to get anything out of centrelink. for most people, this requires you to have been out of school for 18 months and to have earned ~$18000 within any 18-month period, which has to start after you leave school. yes, it's an amazingly stupid system.

Last edited:

wendus

krawr.
HSC
you'd totes be independent in another state. i don't think it's a problem getting YA. gl!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
wendus said:
you'd totes be independent in another state. i don't think it's a problem getting YA. gl!
moving interstate to attend uni doesn't qualify you as independent.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
as long as you can prove that you're independent from your parents!

Evilo

HSC
which you have to prove (by previously mentioned methods). Just living in a different house/state doesn't automatically make you independent.

EDIT - my posts don't make sense because someone has gone around deleting all theirs. Just go with the flow!

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo is right, independance doesnt just = not living at home, there are uber strict requirements

easiest one is earning ~$18,000 over 18 months

artist91

HSC
Yeah this really sucks. I won't be getting one cent from my parents and i'm still considered dependant. What a joke! Do residential colleges even read your scholarship application if you tick "no" for the youth allowance box? Because a scholarship would really help but I'm worried they will overlook my application because I don't qualify for YA even though I really need some aid.

Peartie

HSC
Centrelink said:
Independence test for Youth Allowance
If you apply for Youth Allowance, you will be assessed as either dependant or independent.

You are considered independent if:

you have worked full-time (at least 30 hours a week) for at least 18 months in the last 2 years, or
you have worked part-time (at least 15 hours a week) for at least 2 years since leaving school, or
you have been out of school for at least 18 months and have earned at least 75% of the maximum rate of pay under Wage Level A of the Australian Pay and Classification Scale in an 18 month period, or
you have partial capacity to work as determined by a Job Capacity Assessment, or
you are or have been previously married or living in a marriage-like relationship for at least 12 months, or
you have, or have had a dependent child, or
you have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities, or
you are unable to live at home due to extreme family breakdown, violence in the home, or serious threats to your health or well-being, or
you are a refugee, orphan or someone who cannot live at home, or
you are in State care, or only stopped being in State care because of your age.
You are also considered independent if you are aged 25 or over and a full-time student.

To qualify as independent in a marriage-like relationship, you must be over the age of consent in the State or Territory you live in for that time. Six month relationships are accepted in special circumstances.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ya_independent.htm

there are the exact requirements as of today and as on the centrelink website - once you are eligible for YA if you're renting a place (such as on campus res) zou are also eligible for Rent Assist...

Edit:http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ind_yal_inc.htm - amount you need to have earnt in the 18 month period is currently at $18 850

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
artist91 said:
Yeah this really sucks. I won't be getting one cent from my parents and i'm still considered dependant. What a joke! Do residential colleges even read your scholarship application if you tick "no" for the youth allowance box? Because a scholarship would really help but I'm worried they will overlook my application because I don't qualify for YA even though I really need some aid.
they'd look at the totality of your financial circumstances rather than just if you're getting youth allowance. the vast majority of people starting uni aren't getting anything from centrelink because of the stupidity of the criteria, so colleges can't only accept YA recipients.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)