Will I get caught?! (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
cem said:
I am not an English teacher but I am a marker in Modern History and I teach with a number of English teachers.

The marking process is virtually the same in both subjects.

When you have finished your exam the supervisors pack them up and send them to the Marking Centre. At the centre the clerical staff divide them up according to the question answered. They don't check anything against the information given to them by the schools regarding topics.

All responses to the same question are marked by people in groups set up to mark that question e.g. all the King Lear questions will be marked by one set of markers. It is possible to get single responses from a centre - that will stand out in a subject like English although the marker could assume that you are the only student at your school doing that level of English or that you really liked that topic but the most common assumption is that you are doing a text that hasn't been studied in class. That isn't a problem as the marker will mark on what you present.

When the response has been double marked the clerical staff enter the marks into the computer.

The computer then highlights an area where a student has not done the correct combination of questions e.g. in Modern History if they do two questions from the National Studies and none from the International Studies then only one of the National Studies questions counts.

If the computer is designed to pick up whether you have done a novel or not then you will get caught and not get any marks for the section but as I said I don't teach English so I am not sure about the actual requirements of the course but if it is stated that you must do a novel and you don't have a novel response then the computer will pick it up.

Personally I would check more thoroughly the requirements of the exam before taking that sort of risk.
I think this says it all.

ChrissyGirl2007

Vivimus Vivamus
HSC
although king lear is a production, the play is in a book which means its kinda a novel. they don't know what you have studied so it shouldn't really matter if everyone else does cloudstreet. but it would be a be suspicious. but its your exam after all and you can do what you want.
Oget said:
I find out that its a requirement to have a novel a week before HSC exam. Uh oh.

Teacher says it is 'unlikely' I'll get caught.

Should I take the risk?
although king lear is a production, the play is in a book which means its kinda a novel. they don't know what you have studied so it shouldn't really matter if everyone else does cloudstreet. but it would be a be suspicious. but its your exam after all and you can do what you want

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
The King Lear production is counted as a Shakesperean Drama, and i dont think the markers would accept the play as a derivative form of the novel.

What's so bad or what dont you like about Cloudstreet, im doing it, it's a bit ambiguous but why change texts?

HSC
ChrissyGirl2007 said:
although king lear is a production, the play is in a book which means its kinda a novel. they don't know what you have studied so it shouldn't really matter if everyone else does cloudstreet. but it would be a be suspicious. but its your exam after all and you can do what you want.
Ok, I dare you to write that King Lear is a novel in your exam.:p

helper

HSC
N/A
From what I can read, it says you have to study at LEAST 5 texts, one of each type. That doesn't say you can't do more than two of one type. I also can't see anywhere in the assessment section or on the exam paper saying that you must answer on different types of texts.

So, I would say you would be OK but I really suggest you ask the Board of Studies before taking the chance.

You did study cloudmaker as well, you just decided not to answer the question on it.

~untitled~

HSC
Will you get caught? ... ... ... ...

You probably will now didnt you know karen is a secret spy for Board of Studies trying to make us all fail?

Did you study a novel as an additional text at all? If so, if you did get caught you could argue that you still studied a novel.

zaqwerty

HSC
helper said:
From what I can read, it says you have to study at LEAST 5 texts, one of each type. That doesn't say you can't do more than two of one type. I also can't see anywhere in the assessment section or on the exam paper saying that you must answer on different types of texts.

So, I would say you would be OK but I really suggest you ask the Board of Studies before taking the chance.

You did study cloudmaker as well, you just decided not to answer the question on it.
Cloudstreet* :)

helper

HSC
N/A
cloudmaker, cloudstreet, cloudheaven its all English to me.

forevaunited

HSC
Last year a few guys in Legal forgot the option topic they had studied (LOL) . . . so they answered "Workplace" because it crossed over with some of the business studies topics they had done. Apparently they got through ok.

Switching for English might be different though, if you definately need a novel

MathsIsWeird

HSC
This year the examiner's will have photo's of all those attending.
Last year people did exams for other people, e.g some guy who did hsc last year got 99 in business came and did it for his friend etc.
So this year they have a photo and also your signiture which you will have to match.

HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
Last year people did exams for other people, e.g some guy who did hsc last year got 99 in business came and did it for his friend etc.
So this year they have a photo and also your signiture which you will have to match.
signature* :eek:

Oh ok, sounds good. But how did that guy get away with it? Surely someone would've noticed? Another student or even a teacher? :confused:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
lol gosh .. thats insane.
some guy at my school last year did that for yr 12 - but for chemistry.
i duno how the hell he pulled it off , cos theres a crapload of content to remember in each option - its hard enough learning ONE , and he did TWO.
he ended up doing really well - he got a band 6 in chem - uai was 99.75.

i tried attempting it , too .. but its too hard teaching yourself ><

MathsIsWeird

HSC
Well going to the school i do... Sorry did (Graduated) would have been easier to do it because i dont remember seeing any teachers at that area during the HSC time's and well the student's were probobly his friend so they didnt say anything.
However this is what i have been told by one of my teachers so i am not absolutely sure of how truthful it is.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
i know this guy who got his twin brother to sit his economics exam for him a few years back. his bro didn't do eco but this guy sucked at it completely and apparently his bro was some sort of whiz, probably did business studies or something though, no one can literally make everything up on the spot and do well.
and yeah he did very well
damn i wish i had a twin sister, even though i'm pretty confident for all my subjects...but you know sense of security make her my slave and do my stuff for me lol
oh wait maybe i'll just go build myself a replicant...

nadinenadine123

HSC
Each question is marked at a different marking centre.
The only way you'd get caught is if they randomly decided to check up on you specifically...which is probably not gunna happen.
You won't get caught.
and so many people do it that if for some strange and unlikely reason you did get caught, i really doubt there going to do mcuh about it.

ryanlynn

HSC
Oget said:
Hey all,

I changed my texts from Cloudstreet (modue B eng adv) to King Lear and that leaves me without a novel in my prescribed texts (I have Hamlet/Ros and Guil and Frontline as my other modules respectively).

I find out that its a requirement to have a novel a week before HSC exam. Uh oh.

Teacher says it is 'unlikely' I'll get caught.

Should I take the risk?
My teacher was a senior marker and said stuff like that happens all the time. Its your choice to do it

Heretique

HSC
I dont think you're going to get caught for switching texts. People decide to answer different questions all the time in their legal exams, instead of what they studied, it happens in ancient too and im sure other subjects. I dont know about this whole having to study a novel thing...teachers pick which text to do for the module and the reason you did this Cloudstreet rather than King Lear was probably because you were already doing Shakespeare for module a, and your teacger thought doing two shakespeare texts would be arduous. I really dont see anything terrible happening, except you perhaps not doing as well because you chose to do a text that you didnt study, and therefore it is thought that you would only be able to provide a shallow analytical response as you did not have the feedback and help from the teacher. But of course, there are always exceptions and you may know king lear inside out and present a very in-depth, sophisticated analysis.
I say do what you think will get you the better result. The HSC is one big gamble...go for it!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)