Will I struggle in Actuarial Studies? (1 Viewer)

knightus10

HSC
Hi everyone!!! :)

So I was contemplating on doing actuarial in either Unsw or Macquarie, but I'm not sure if my maths ability is good enough. For HSC I got 95 for MX1 and 89 in MX2. I love maths and I enjoy solving problems so I thought maybe I would enjoy actuarial studies but I'm worried if I will struggle during the course. I have no prior knowledge of anything related to commerce and binomial theorem was one of my weaker maths topics. So will i be ok? If I do end up doing it, is a double degree recommended?

Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think the question you need to ask yourself is, "How is my work ethic?"

If your work ethic is good, and you make good friends who can help you out with stuff, you'll be fine

knightus10

HSC
I think the question you need to ask yourself is, "How is my work ethic?"

If your work ethic is good, and you make good friends who can help you out with stuff, you'll be fine
But the thing is, it apparently has a drop out rate of 40%, so it's got me really worried. Even if I do get help from friends, I feel like my maths capabilities is a big factor on how well ill do in the course.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That drop out rate is a combination of difficulty and the fact that Actuarial isn't for a lot of people

if you think you're up for it, then you try it

mreditor16

HSC
In regard to double degree combinations, the first question you have got to ask is which double degree combinations interest you most. What appeals to you - combining with Adv Maths? Commerce? Science? Law? etc

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
In regard to double degree combinations, the first question you have got to ask is which double degree combinations interest you most. What appeals to you - combining with Adv Maths? Commerce? Science? Law? etc
Yeah thats very right. Do something combined with maths. It doesn't not necessarily have to be actuarial studies. Increase your job prospects by doing a double degree with a degree related to maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)