Will my maths result KILL my UAI ?! (2 Viewers)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
sepul,

What did you get for your trial in maths? What mark?

I understand what you are trying to say sepul, that assessment marks mean nothing, but technically, if you really do that badly, who gonna say your gonna do that much differently? The maths exam is now over and how do you think you went?

Although assessment marks mean nothing except the relative differences and ranks, it is most likely the exam mark that corresponds to your rank won't be great either. And thus you will be badly pulled down.

So yes to clarify, assessment marks do mean nothing if you are talking about the marks you received at school. It does not contribute to your record of achievement. These marks become moderated taking account the differences between students, which can imply that the marks do have some worth which is probably what jm123 was trying to tell you.

What I'm saying is that if you did VERY hard tests then scoring low assessment marks in school isn't bad as long as most of the other people found it hard, UNLESS you perform badly in the HSC.

Last edited:

sepul

HSC
No i just went badly in maths, I'll get maybe, 20% in the HSC, heh, but what I'm asking is, if I do good in my other subjects can I still get a good/decent UAI. ( 70-75 )

krissy - school assessment marks mean nothing in determining your final mark, only in terms of rank.

And, I know I should of probably done 12 units, but I didn't and I didn't realise one year ago what my result for the HSC would be, but if I get the UAI I need it'll all be worth it ( in terms of having an easy time at school )]

"50% makes u eligible for maths" - Please define, eligible ? According to my head maths teacher, the only way you can "fail" the course is by not fullfilling the requirements, ie not doing assessment tasks/handing in units - reguardless of your mark.

And also the only reason I did 2U maths was for my uni course which requires it.

Finally - who am I picking on, and why ?

sepul

HSC
Also, RageRunner - what do you think I'll get ? Keeping in mind I really did not study much for trails/assessments ( except for bio ) - these will be my best prepared exams.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Although you cannot fail (i.e. get below 50), getting a mark of 50-60 in the HSC is a band 1 performance, and as a result your marks will plummet down heaps.

It's -almost- like you are doing 8 units.

Standard English is also going to hurt you a bit but you'd probably be in the high 50's/low 60's if hopefully your other HSC exams you've done are reasonable good.

Possibly higher if you absolutely cain the other subjects..

sepul

HSC
Yeah I've thought to myself that I have to get my UAI on 8 units, essentially.

I'm a bit disappointed at that.... UAI seeker tells me a different story - but the reason I started this thread was to see if it was still accurate with me putting in 20% for maths.

Dumbarse

for maths u say u are ranked last, ie. 66th
therefore in the hsc for maths u will get your test mark
and then for school assessment u will get whatever was the 66th best mark in the HSC, ie. the worst mark, anyone from your skool got
because that is what u are ranked
thats where ranks come into play

thats where if your ranked crap other dumb people can "Drag your marks down"

my advice is for u to get 100 in the test, and hope the 65 other kids in your skool get above 80

sepul

HSC
Thanks but - if you've been reading I was attempting to explain this to others - I understand it perfectly. And I've already sat and test, and went very badly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)