Will this years UAIs be less than last year? (1 Viewer)

SandunAAA

HSC
I'm pretty scared cos, on the paper and news they said we were the smartest year in HSC history. thats aint good for us cos then we will get lower UAI compared to last year. Using last years cal my UAI is about 97-98. This year cos everyone did heeps good, my UAI might end up aroung 95 ???

I am i Right??? for my sake, hope not...
Pls comment

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
english adv we did better... business we did worse... ipt we did better.... software we did worse...

I think it might go slightly down for the average person... some peoples might go slightly up.

simonj2

hero
HSC
i was told (by my parents, so this is very likely false :p, and it really doesn't sound right) that 6% less people are applying for uni or something, so that the uai's are supposed to be more generous... just something to keep your hopes up :)

specialjenny

HSC
simonj2 said:
i was told (by my parents, so this is very likely false :p, and it really doesn't sound right) that 6% less people are applying for uni or something, so that the uai's are supposed to be more generous... just something to keep your hopes up :)
THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S HOPE THAT WHAT YOUR PARENTS ARE SAYING IS TRUE.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
hmm it doesn't really matter toooo much how many people are applying.. it matters how many people with GOOD MARKS are apply... if 100000000 dumbasses applied u'd still get a higher uai then them
if 100 geniuses signed up.. u'd do worse.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
simonj2 said:
It doesnt matter how much people apply for uni since a UAI is calculated for everyone even if they dont want one

robbie19

HSC
SandunAAA said:
I'm pretty scared cos, on the paper and news they said we were the smartest year in HSC history. thats aint good for us cos then we will get lower UAI compared to last year. Using last years cal my UAI is about 97-98. This year cos everyone did heeps good, my UAI might end up aroung 95 ???

I am i Right??? for my sake, hope not...
Pls comment
the news states that that is the case generally... however it depends on what subjects u do and how ppl achieve in those subjects compared to u. therefore i think its hard to dettermine if ur UAI will be down or up compared to previous years. btw, around 95? are u dissapointed? please tell me u will b dissapointed with 95 becoz i'm sure there are thousands and thousands of ppl in the state who would struggle to even get 70, they would want to kik ur ass literally to hear u say sometihng like that..

simonj2

hero
HSC
acmilan said:
It doesnt matter how much people apply for uni since a UAI is calculated for everyone even if they dont want one
oh wait sorry, the cut off marks for the courses should be lower if what i said is indeed true

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
if you look at the band descriptors and percentages of people in different bands it isnt that much "smarter" than last year. eg geography only has 6% getting b6 this year while for biology it is the same, chem has gone up 1%, maths 1% and english 1%. well these are the only important ones for me and it shouldnt change my aggregate in my estimate too much i wouldnt imagine.

we arent really smarter, the new syllabus is more established and better study guides are out, teachers are more familiar with the courses etc. that is the reason for the increase in no. band 6 (which is not that great really.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
robbie19 said:
btw, around 95? are u dissapointed? please tell me u will b dissapointed with 95 becoz i'm sure there are thousands and thousands of ppl in the state who would struggle to even get 70, they would want to kik ur ass literally to hear u say sometihng like that..
ive had it up to here with people saying stuff like that. ive been disappointed with my results cause my school assessment marks were higher in my results quite significantly in many cases. ive dropped back. this is very disappointing and NEVER tell people to be happy if they no the shud have done much better.

No one is of the same intelligence and people are of different capabilities. if someone misses out on their desired course their uai may seem meaningless to them and have been a waste. dont tell them to not be disappointed. whats good for one person isnt for another

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
if you look at the band descriptors and percentages of people in different bands it isnt that much "smarter" than last year. eg geography only has 6% getting b6 this year while for biology it is the same, chem has gone up 1%, maths 1% and english 1%. well these are the only important ones for me and it shouldnt change my aggregate in my estimate too much i wouldnt imagine.

we arent really smarter, the new syllabus is more established and better study guides are out, teachers are more familiar with the courses etc. that is the reason for the increase in no. band 6 (which is not that great really.
Not everythings going up in band 6, take Studies of Religion I for example that had a dramatic drop in people in the top two bands

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i know. geography is only 6% cause it has dropped. business has dropped about 2% also. i wasnt saying everything has gone up im just saying that for me i wont be overly affected (well at least i dont think so lol)

dezzy

HSC
mmm...depends what ur definition of good is..lol..nah, they were pretty damn average.

geo 71
legal 78
business 80

shinchan

HSC
danm, theres alot more ppl got in band 5 and 6 for adv english:
2003: 41.2% (6.38% in band 6, 34.82% in band 5)
2004: 50.09% (7.56% in band 6, 42.53% in band 5)

goodness, i only got 83 for adv eng.... i reckon dat have dropped me from being top 25% to somewhere around top 33%

i reckon it wipped a whole uai point from be because of dat alone!!! :vcross:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)