Wind in the Willows (1 Viewer)

Chickadee

Ameslee
HSC
Any one doing Wind in the Willows

Does anybody have any notes on Wind in the Willows?

Last edited:

nice_gal4

crappy notes

Wind in The Willows – Stimulus Booklet – Kenneth Grahame

Quotes:

“There’s real life for you, embodied in that little cart. The open road, the dusty highway…”

“The whole world before you and a horizon that’s always changing.”

In contrast to Skryznecki’s ‘Crossing the Red Sea’ and ‘Feliks Skryznecki’, which focus more on the effect and outcome of the journey, this excerpt of ‘The Wind in The Willows’ from the Stimulus Booklet focuses on the lead up a journey, highlighting the different reactions of individuals, in this case Toad and Ratty – to the idea of a journey away from their home environment.

Whilst Toad is extremely excited at the idea of traveling (perhaps due to the fact that it was his own) , this shown in his exclamation of “ There’s real life for you, embodied in that little cart. The open road, the dusty highway…” he is unable to convince Ratty of it’s charms. And despite much persuasion Ratty doggedly states that he is “not coming… I am going to stick to my old river”.

It is this individual reaction to the idea of change and challenge, which highlights the differences in character between the two. By refusing to go on a journey Ratty is refusing to put himself at risk of new challenges, testing himself against new experiences and growing as a person. Whereas Toady, whilst perhaps possessing a reckless regard to consequences, is ready to hop the cart and experience whatever is put in front of him in the hope of someday having tales to share and memories to enjoy.

menagerie

i got some stuff if ya still want it - hope it helps

- Anthropomorphic characters => animals have human qualities
- Toad of Toad Hall => not deserving of wealth, always in trouble
- Rat => more sensible - good friend of toad
- Mole => shy, sensible - also good friend of toad
- Weasels => try to take over Toad Hall
- Representation of physical journey
- Gipsy caravan => travelling
- Food etc for the journey
- Wheels/ cart
- Open road / highway

- Reader positioned with Toad – physical journey emphasised, Rat doesn’t want to go
- Irony: “I’m going to make an animal out of you” => they are already animals
- Baccy: tobacco
- How a journey can influence others, reluctance for journeys (resistance to change) choice of journey

Techniques
- Dialogue (techniques) – two points of view about journey, narrator
- Rat’s journey => inner
- Journey sounds vibrant (first paragraph) romantic connotation: gypsy; bird; complete van => physical need is catered for
- Rat not involved in planning
- Words imply energy, excitement , “variety”, “triumphantly”
- Neither didn’t want to be alone in journey
- Contrasted through imagery and ways of speaking
- Fables – morales, animals
- Many things are listed – variety in journey
- Rat’s speech is static

Rogue1987

My small notes

My notes are only really small. Mainly because this is not the piece that I will use in the exam assuming that they will not tell you to use this piece. Some language features and structures used by the composer include:
- Juxtaposing emotions (contrast) - Toads excitment when compared to Rat's reluctance -> a sense of realism.
- Pun - "I'm going to make an animal of you!"
- Pun - "Dogedly".
- The dialogue is really important in the revelation of character's personality.
- The whole story is in third person.
- Contrast of personalities.
- Exclaimation marks - used to great effect of describing Toad's excitment.

You should also be able to note what insight (s) into the concept of journeys is given from "The Wind In The Willows" (TWITW).
e.g. IF Toad was to undertake his journey, it would be physcial. In the exert, he is undergoing an imaginary journey:
"Camps; villages; towns; cities! Here today, up and off somewhere else tomarrow".
He imagines that exploring the world will be fun and exciting -- but he has no idea! He is dreaming about it and what it would be like. Hence, an imaginative journey.

Don't forget rat and mole in your answer too. I made that mistake in a class examination on this piece. I hoped that it would be "The Road Not Taken", but no, it was TWITW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)