• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

windows on mac (1 Viewer)

HSC
does anyone use windows and os on their mac?
also if i have windows on as a different operating system, does this mean I can install software that is built for windows (ie motorola phone tools?)

the-unko-lema

HSC
I use bootcamp... its great.

I use it for gaming, an area that OSX really sucks at.

Bootcamp allows you to choose what operating system you boot into at startup; either windows or OSX (you can also use linux/vista)

When your booted into that OS, thats what it is... windows running on 'windows' hardware (assuming you have an intel mac)... therefor you can do everything you can with a windows machine including your programs- motorolla tools.

It works by dividing your hard drive into two, one side OSX, the other Windows (or whatever). Within OSX you can trasfer files to the windows side easily- the drive will appear on your desktop, and you just copy/paste or drag files in.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

-download the file, install, run the app and it will guide you through the process of dividing up your hard drive, creating a driver cd (hardware drivers for windows), and then will allow you to boot off a disk- insert your copy of windows xp, and thats when it gets tricky- make sure you install onto the right HD, I recommend you know how to install windows first ;) ... etc...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I use parallels and it works fine for things like office and matlab, which aren't working so well in macosx right now.

www.parallels.com

As for mobile phone tools. It might work in parallels, it supports USB.

However, vmware is going to release another virtualisation software to compete with parallels soon. It seems to support more features.

www.vmware.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)