Windows Vista & XP (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys,
ive got a new lappy and im sick of vista. just wanted to know, if i install xp:

1. will i be able to dual-boot between operating systems?
2. will i lose all my saved data (stuff in my docs folder & games, etc)
3. is there any way to stop vista doing that stupid Disk Check Utility on startup? (Off topic but still)

thanks

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Remember the days when people hated XP and claimed 98SE was so much better?

Edit: as for question, I'm not sure whether XP will let you install over Vista, so you may have to do a format. In this case, you'll need to back up all your stuff.

Last edited:

angel313

HSC
i got vista and aparently you are going to have to wipe
the whole lap top to instal xp my mate told me that vista
was hard to run but thats only cause its new and not compatible with anything yet

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
MasterSpinnaker said:
hey guys,
ive got a new lappy and im sick of vista. just wanted to know, if i install xp:

1. will i be able to dual-boot between operating systems?
2. will i lose all my saved data (stuff in my docs folder & games, etc)
3. is there any way to stop vista doing that stupid Disk Check Utility on startup? (Off topic but still)

thanks
1. Yes, however you cant just load the XP CD and install. because the Operating Systems will then be tangled together (e.g. MBR).

To complete this, you must read and understand the following:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

2. No, not if you do it correctly. If it is done right, nothing within the Vista folders will be disrupted.

3. I don't have Vista, and probably wont buy it either. But, XP had a similar problem which could be resolved by removing the registry keys.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
angel313 said:
i got vista and aparently you are going to have to wipe
the whole lap top to instal xp my mate told me that vista
was hard to run but thats only cause its new and not compatible with anything yet
Your friend's an idiot.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
to the OP, I basically googled it for you, took less than 2 seconds. Look above
(post #4)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
politik said:
Does anyone know why I recommended google?

BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL FUCKING STUPID. RESEARCH THE ANSWER YOURSELF, INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO THE UNIMPORTANT OPINIONS OF PREPUBESCANT HSC STUDENTS WHO KNOW JACK SHIT ABOUT COMPUTING.

I mean, there are at least four posts in this thread which are useless (not including this one). Learn to google for fucks sake.
Calm the fuck down politik. The information both me, and muffin man provided is accurate and provides answers for his questions.

Many people visit google before asking questions within forums, but some become overwhelmed by the amount of information they're confronted with.

Fuck off.

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
MuffinMan said:
to the OP, I basically googled it for you, took less than 2 seconds. Look above
(post #4)
I actually read that after you posted it and it's a good link -that's why I mentioned it again.

MuffinMan

HSC
question is why would you want vista? Half my programs don't work on my vista machine, I have to borrow my dad's lappy which has xp to get them running :(

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
That's true. I think it's best too wait until more bugs are reported and fixed. I loaded Vista onto my machine a while back, and was suprised in relation to the graphical user interface- I liked it, especially the aero concept themes. But not even one hour later, I reinstalled XP; mainly because I started getting error reports, and the OS continued to delete the doggle drivers for some reason, it was pissing me off actually.

MuffinMan

HSC
Lol ws ftp pro didn't work, crashed
AP Tuner 3 crashed as well.
So annoying, but I don't have a legit serial of xp, only a vista serial (which I got from uni) + xp mce oem key for my dad's notebook.

But yeah another reason I switched was that firefox was running heaps slow (even if I formatted my comp, it was still slow)

so the gist of this is... (to the op), get rid of vista and onto xp. (xp should last a few more years)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)