With reference to sources, assess the achievements of Agrippina the Younger. (1 Viewer)

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
With reference to sources, assess the achievements of Agrippina the Younger.
What exactly are we supposed to write about for this question?....(2003 HSC)

chingly_choo

Bustin' this crib
HSC
Agrippina didn't achieve much in the way that the emperors had, but you write about what were her achievements, so loooking at the power she gained, the way she paved the way for Nero to become emperor.

Her two most important ambitions were to have her son on the throne and then to beomc ethe most pwoerful and influential woman in rome.

Some ofher achievements included
-surviving the rule of caligula
- first openly powerful, political woman in rome- even working in a sort of patnership with Claudius. She oversaw balanced and consistent policies, reorganised the governemtn, advised on foreign policy, appointed praetorian officers and prefects- notably burrus-
- Used nero on hte throne to rule
-Intervened successfully in Judea (Josephus). Sat on the tribunal over britons in the AD 51 and was given equal honour with claudus. She was also bvery influential in the provinces, appearing on their coins etc.
- Married her uncle

She could not maintain her power as she lost control over nero. AS a result of her life and demise no other, subsequent imperial woman tried to imitate Agrippina

GaNeSh

HSC
oh haha thanks 4 that dude that infos useful but i was meant to ask how to answer this question: "With reference to sources, assess the contributions of Agrippina the Younger to her times" - my mistake!

Aimz- Lou.

Hmmm.... that's a tough one.

Ok. So her contributions...
- She contributed to the ascension of Nero.
" Agrippina with unscrupulous skill had so prepared the way for her sixteen year old son..." - Scullard.

"Once sure of her marriage she... devoted herself to scheming for her son." - Tacitus.

- She contributed the emperor Nero. ("By his mother's intrigues he was becoming the rival of Britannicus..." - Tacitus.)

"Agrippina now meant to rule through her son." - Scullard.

- She contributed the new prefect of the praetorian guard, Burrus, who was "Fully aware whose initiatvie was behind his appointment." - Tacitus.

- She contributed to the promotion of the Priesthood of Claudius... ( " The senate voted her two official lictors and the priesthood of Claudius.") - Tacitus.

- She contributed to the death of Claudius... (""Agrippina had long decided on murder. Now she saw her opportunity..." - tacitus.)

- She contributed to the death of Britannicus, although this was unintentional... ("Upset by Agrippina's threats....Nero...hated the boy all the more...He decided to act secretly, and ordered the poison to be prepared." - Tacitus.)

- She contributed to the patron-client system. Vitellius is a good example. examples. Vitellius helped her break the betrothal between Octavia and Lucius Junius Silanus Torquatus. In return, she pleaded his case before Claudius when he was accused of treason, and his accuser was thus outlawed. Tacitus makes the comment that "Vitellius had not asked for more than that."

That's about all I can really think about. PLEASE tell me it was a five mark, not a ten mark????

GaNeSh

HSC
sori for the late reply but yeh unfortunately it was a 10 mark question...i dont know exactly wher it was from...probably from a Catholic trial which are always difficult.
Your point about the patron-client relationship seemed quite viable - not really sure bout the rest....All ive got is some excerpt from Barret which writes about how her story detered other prominant women from trying to gain power in rome - thats about it really.
I guess part c becomes like an english essay - u end up writing the same things(but instead of themes n techniques u hav her achievements and influence) while adjusting ur answer to the question...am i right?

niteshade1312

HSC
chingly_choo said:
Some ofher achievements included
-surviving the rule of caligula
I dont really think that's an achievement or a contribution.. seems more luck

TheVoodooChild

HSC
niteshade1312 said:
I dont really think that's an achievement or a contribution.. seems more luck
Idno, I'd count that as a pretty high achievement, considering both her and her mother where sent into exile by the ruling emperor, but Agrippina the Younger survived. Quite the achievement.

crnogorce

HSC
Does anyone have some examples of patrons, that supported Agrippins, patrons other than Vitellius?

Thanks

Oat Blimey

HSC
Give her a break, thats what this thread is for.. asking for help.

Also Burrus and Seneca are both patrons of Agrippina.
Seneca was appointed by Ag to be Nero's tutor.
she made Burrus the sole prefect of the Praetorian guard. Burrus returned the favor by supporting Nero over Claudius’ son Britannicus

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)