Wonderful Clash of Law Camp with Premiers... (2 Viewers)

HSC
Is anyone else in the same situation as me? I really want to go to Law Camp and meet the cool UTS Law ppl but the Premier's Award and my school Speech Day is on right in the middle of the Camp! Is there any way that I could go to both - or will I have to sacrifice Law Camp to shake Bobby Carr's hand? :( And WHY is the Law Camp set on this date?! Its soooo horrible.... I'll just go cry in the corner now... ;)

EDIT: Btw, is everyone going? I know from a few other msgs that some other ppl on the forum aren't going either...but do a large majority of the UTS law ppl usually go each yr?

Last edited:

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
Hey

Here's one person that's in the same situation! I called the law people to ask about it, and told this really nice guy about the problem and he said he'd call me back- which he didn't do, and i called him again and left a msg on the machine- and still haven't gotten a reply...

But anyway, if I can't go to both ( because he got my hopes up that maybe i could), then I choose the premiers award because even though i really would like to go to the camp, i'm damn proud of myself for getting that award and want my photo op!

also, to console myself, i'm doing business/law and won't be doing any law subjects in first semester, so that makes it a bit better that there'll be lots of business ppl who won't know each other anyway :)

If you haven't called them already, maybe you could do it now and we could car pool our way back to sydney ;) power to the majority is what i say!

HSC
Yay! Maybe we can set up our own outcast camp...;) So we might be able to go to both?! Hm...I'll have to ask them tmw...definately!

Ch00

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Not sure who the 'cool' guy you spoke to was... however, I know a similar thing arose last year and the girl simply pre-arranged to leave early. The camp is relatively close to Sydney so you could probably come back if you wanted to as well.

Also, even though you only do business subjects in first semester it makes sense to go and get to know some of the people you will be doing law subjects with. Additionally, all the people you meet doing business/law are the people you will have most of your subjecst with for the first couple of years. I made friends doing the first year semester 1 business subejcts who did just business but I never really see them anymore because they progress through all the busienss subjects much more quickly.

See you there.

Last edited:

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
I'm not really going to say much coz I'm not getting a Premier's Award so I wouldn't know how you guys must be feeling, but is it really that exciting to recieve an award from Bob Carr? Like yeah sure you guys put so much time and effort into the HSC..i know I did..might as well let it pay off, but 3 days of fun fun camp, hanging with other cool guys doing Law and actually get a chance to know ppl before you enter uni and eliminate the need of going around trying to make friends on the first day.

From what I can see, it'll probably be a pretty social thing, dance parties, group activities + its a perfect place/time to bond with other people from Law, which is mad seeing how its hard to bond with ppl once uni gets starting.. so if getting an award from Bob Carr is more better getting a social-getting to know everybody headstart before uni, then maybe you just should forget the camp and just go and actually reap the rewards of that damn 12 months you spent in hell studying for the HSC.

But for the rest of you guys that are going to the camp, I'll see you there :p

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
azn_spirit said:
I'm not really going to say much coz I'm not getting a Premier's Award so I wouldn't know how you guys must be feeling, but is it really that exciting to recieve an award from Bob Carr?
as someone who went to both events last year, let me give you an unbiased rundown of what happens at Premier's Award...

basically, for Premier's Award: you arrive earlier in the morning, check-in, have a practice run with the someone acting as the Premier, then off to lunch (can't remember, but i think it was catered). the trophies themselves are diamond-shaped glass pieces, with engraving of your name.

then after the practice run, the guests and the Premier come in, there is two musical items (i think), the Premier makes a speech about the excellence of the NSW education system, blahblahblah, good work guys you deserve it, then you spend heaps long while 800 other students collect the trophy, get their photo taken in groups of 4.

then it is off to afternoon tea where a lot of ppl can go bummm and meet ppl they haven't met since primary school blahblahblah, day concludes with proud parents, glass trophy and another line on your CV. :)

about 3 weeks later in the mail you get a 6x4 inch photo of you, your fellow award winners and Mr. Carr, with a slip for ordering second copies and/or enlargements.

whereas, at UTS Law Camp:

"...the Faculty of Law in conjunction with the UTS Law Students’ Society are holding a 3 day Law Orientation Camp. At the camp you will get the opportunity to make new friends, meet Faculty staff and senior students, learn more about the field of law, where your studies can lead you and a whole lot more.

Places are limited and students are accommodated on a first come, first served basis. The Law Orientation Camp is an invaluable experience and attendance is highly recommended for students new to university education.

Previous Camp particpants have enjoyed it so much that they have volunteered
to come back as O'Camp Team Leaders." [ie. me :p]

Last edited:

Ch00

HSC
N/A
lol i was a team leader last year as well, frigid: who are you???

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
Hi guys!

I guess by now we all know that we can go to both things, so will I be seeing you on the bus back to sydney charlie_charlie? :)

But anyway, I'm packing for the camp right now, and on the list, it says to bring a pillow....do we really have to bring a pillow? Just that normally, camp places have pillows and you just bring a case..? :confused:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
unfortunately i will not be there during law camp. may the other members of the LSS DIE without me, those ungrateful ungrateful ingrates. that is all, thank you.

enjoy your time and welcome to UTS:Law.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, well...you ARE leaving...

I got told I couldn't do orientations with the Peer Network because I'm not going to be a current UTS student, and that's fair. The whole point of going is so that the n00bs can make contact with higher-ups (ie second and higher years) that will actually BE THERE later for them to ask about stuff from. If you're leaving then you simply can't pull that off can you?

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
cranberries said:
Hi guys!

But anyway, I'm packing for the camp right now, and on the list, it says to bring a pillow....do we really have to bring a pillow? Just that normally, camp places have pillows and you just bring a case..? :confused:
God I was just thinking the same stuff...but its wayyyy to late now...O-camp starts in 6 hours ..don't ask why I'm still awake its becoz I still haven't figured a way to get around my damn sleeping cycles. =)

Anyways I just hope the camp ISN'T that cheap that they don't supply fresh sheets and pillows becoz god I so can't be bothered taking up one..that will take up so much of my luggage space..I'm bringing alot one so I have to save space and I reckon blankets and pillows will take at least 3/5 of it so yeah I just hope so =).

Still I can't wait to meet all you guys there =) Just hope it will be FUN..nothing worse than realising that you could had save 95 bucks and continue bludging at home in your own comfort zone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)