Word Limit (1 Viewer)

lildoro

HSC
Anyone know how strict the markers are with word limits? How much leeway is generally given?

My teacher says they aren't really nazis about word limits unless you were severely over... but I just want to make sure.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Word Limit

+- 100 give or take.

kthxbambi

HSC
if i had 5500 words, will they notice? it's a short story, and i really can't add much more too it

HSC
How are the markers gonna know if you're +- 100 words? ;)

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
I'm sure a very small difference wouldnt matter, but by that I mean +-100... I wouldn't risk it. My Ext.2 teachers are both markers and they say pages are carefully counted and speeches are timed to the second...

I guess Multimedia is the only really lax one. 15-40 screens of 'substantial text'. Woot.

lildoro

HSC
Well I guess I'm boned.

Rebekkie said:
you're supposed to include a word count. and if they find out you lied in it then i've heard they can confiscate the work. I think they'd notice because double spacing would mean that you'd have about 10 pages less than everyone else. and you can't mess with borders/font size because it's specified.
I knew nothing of this word count and border size thing =o All I have is "The story or stories must be typed onto A4 paper and shoul use double spacing. Font size should be 12, Arial or Times New Roman" in the syllabus requirements.

Where can I find out specs on borders and the word count?

mitellic

bitchell.
HSC
one of the markers came to our school and said they were usually pretty forgiving with word count, within reason.

i.e. a 6000 word limit for critical response + reflection statement could probably get away with like 6500

even if they do count the words - which they wouldn't because they only give each MW around 40-50 minutes, they would be fine if you were a bit over.

don't worry so much it doesnt have to be dead-on the word limit.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Word Limit

kevinx2 said:
How are the markers gonna know if you're +- 100 words? ;)
I'd say after marking hundreds, if not thousands of essays they'd have a slight idea.

More so if it's a typed essay with a given format

HSC
What about double side pages? Is there anything about that?

kthxbambi

HSC
ok so
i have EXACTLY 5800 words in my short story
i have yet to write a reflection statement but i will probably be close to 1500 words on that
so that's a total of 7300 words
do you think 200 words off 6000 is going to get me in trouble?

HSC
kthxbambi said:
ok so
i have EXACTLY 5800 words in my short story
i have yet to write a reflection statement but i will probably be close to 1500 words on that
so that's a total of 7300 words
do you think 200 words off 6000 is going to get me in trouble?

My story is 6056 words at the moment, taking up 23 and a half pages. Taking away 200 words reduces my page to 23 pages - so markers would probably not notice, that's if you don't include a word count...

imo, i think they might care if you are even +-100

Try reading through your work and see if you can add additional stuff to it. Or have some pastiche of other text types (newspaper articles etc):)

Sorry i can't help you anyfurther, good luck anyways =]]

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
kevinx2 said:
What about double side pages? Is there anything about that?
pretty sure they get shitty at double sided
i know they crucify Society nd Culture kids who hand in their major work double sided.

HSC
Rebekkie said:
so close to handing it in... 2 weeks left!
:(:(:(

wixxy2348 said:
i know they crucify Society nd Culture kids who hand in their major work double sided.
I'm going to hand it in double sided, unbinded, in a plastic sleeve, with size 8 font..just to spite them....

IamSalvidor

HSC
N/A
kevinx2 said:
:(:(:(

I'm going to hand it in double sided, unbinded, in a plastic sleeve, with size 8 font..just to spite them....
Sure - get them in a bad mood - that'll be a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)