Word Limit (1 Viewer)

FerryBoat

HSC
I have a hand-in essay due with the word count within 900 - 1000 words. I have cut down my response and at the end of what I can earnestly eliminate from my response. The edited version is currently down to 1,124 words. Would this be a penalising factor or does it pay to keep attempting to cut it down?

buriza

conviction
HSC
I have a hand-in essay due with the word count within 900 - 1000 words. I have cut down my response and at the end of what I can earnestly eliminate from my response. The edited version is currently down to 1,124 words. Would this be a penalising factor or does it pay to keep attempting to cut it down?
It's good if you learn how to be succinct with your language in english because you can get marked down for not expressing yourself clearly enough or being too wordy. If you can try to cut it down to 1000 words. It also depends on the conditions of your essay to whether or not you are going to be penalised for it.

astroman

HSC
if it is a hardcopy, the teacher won't notice, but a soft copy definitely need to cut it back

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
U get 10%, pushes u up to 1100. They wont care for the 24 words. If you wanna make it look shorter, make the full stops a size 9 or something, and it'll make ur essay look like the same length as anyone else.

callipygian

HSC
U get 10%, pushes u up to 1100. They wont care for the 24 words.
You don't get 10% with a range. 900-1000 means 900-1000. If it's a hard copy, cut it to 1050 max, if it's a soft copy it needs to be within the word limit.

Teachers vary with their marking rules, but my mother's a uni lecturer and I've seen people drop from full marks to a distinction because they've gone over the word limit. Just play it safe, get other people to edit it, I guarantee there are words/sentences that you don't need.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it would be safer to cut it down to at most 1100 words, you should actually ask your teacher what is the leeway on the word limit, some teachers might be so strict as to require no words over the allowed word limit. You can always cut down an essay more even if you think it is impossible right now. Leave it for a day or two and come back to read it out critically and it is highly likely you will be able to cut it down further.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't get 10% with a range. 900-1000 means 900-1000. If it's a hard copy, cut it to 1050 max, if it's a soft copy it needs to be within the word limit.

Teachers vary with their marking rules, but my mother's a uni lecturer and I've seen people drop from full marks to a distinction because they've gone over the word limit. Just play it safe, get other people to edit it, I guarantee there are words/sentences that you don't need.
Oh shit wow! I guess I've been doing assessments wrong lmao. Yeah, OP as callipygian said play it safe.

Carsbooks

HSC
yeah you would, coz Ms Craven will know

Carsbooks

HSC
Well we all know you wrote way to much each time, i mean 5 words a line? maybe focus on writing the full length of the page first before considering the full length; remember quality and quantity- at school you can easily fool the teachers but in the hsc, they'll be more than unimpressed if you wrote more than you needed :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)