Work environment or the money? (1 Viewer)

bosanon95

HSC
N/A

I'd chose option 1 - but there are no jobs like that in engo ;)
Just using it as an example. But if option 1 was being a cadet/intern at any professional firms, obviously I'll bear with the s*** happening there and won't be posting here today.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
tbh, option 1 is actually a fast food restaurant. I won't mention names but you can pm me if you want to know which fast food chain it is.
whats wrong with posting it here?

but definitely would like to know :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you aren't in dire need of the cash, go with Option 2. You'll enjoy it more, get more out of it, and will have better things to talk about in the future when prospectful employers ask you about your work experience and attitudes.

Fiction

HSC
Depends on how bad it is, but I would generally chose Option 2. The lower the stress levels the better c:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
tbh, option 1 is actually a fast food restaurant. I won't mention names but you can pm me if you want to know which fast food chain it is.
Actually, seeing this made me rethink my response. Is it a large and reputable chain with a known training program/structure (e.g. Maccas, KFC, etc)? These typically hold a surprising amount of weight on a CV because you learn how to work in a more structured environment. You'll also more likely pick up coaching/training skills and have clearer roles and responsibilities over time.

If option 2 is just sales in a shopping centre, it's one of those roles where it doesn't change or grow over time and all you're really able to develop on is your ability to sell/convince people of things... i.e. you can spend six months or a year and you may not have 'grown' in terms of what you can talk about or describe in an interview other than to explain what you liked and how you would build a similar positive working culture elsewhere.

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
Actually, seeing this made me rethink my response. Is it a large and reputable chain with a known training program/structure (e.g. Maccas, KFC, etc)? These typically hold a surprising amount of weight on a CV because you learn how to work in a more structured environment. You'll also more likely pick up coaching/training skills and have clearer roles and responsibilities over time.

If option 2 is just sales in a shopping centre, it's one of those roles where it doesn't change or grow over time and all you're really able to develop on is your ability to sell/convince people of things... i.e. you can spend six months or a year and you may not have 'grown' in terms of what you can talk about or describe in an interview other than to explain what you liked and how you would build a similar positive working culture elsewhere.
Yea true, because for option 1, the base rate is actually $19. It's the casual loading and also overnight shifts that makes it around $24/hour.

But at the moment I'll still stick to option 1 and also apply for christmas casuals as well, and if they do work out probably I'll leave the option 1 job.

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
keep your eyes on the money
That's what I'm like atm before I quit and I get another christmas casual job with good pay. Atm I'm still working at option 1 and every time during work I just tell myself to do my job, man up and bear with the bitchy managers/workmates for that 4-8 hour shift and after it's over I can get my $$$$$$$$$$$.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like option 1 is the way to go. Good money, proper training program, says alot about you as a person that you stuck it out, etc... good experience overall, and $19 (or $24) an hour is great money. Took me a long time before I was earning that much coin.

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
did you just move to australia or something
Err, are you being sarcastic? It's quite high of a pay for non professional jobs unless you're comparing with big 4 banks, accounting firms then obviously it isn't. I know you earn more than $50 an hour if you do investment banking and things like that but I'm now talking about non degree related jobs. And $23-$24 is quite high for non degree related jobs.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's high relative to what else the Op can get at this point in time.

I started on somewhere closer to $10-12 an hour back in 2006 and that was considered high to me back then!

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
It's high relative to what else the Op can get at this point in time.

I started on somewhere closer to $10-12 an hour back in 2006 and that was considered high to me back then!
Yup, exactly. For non degree and non professional jobs, it's very high. Btw, I saw your signature, approximately how much an hour do you earn now as a professional accountant?

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
Btw, assume if I do get successful and got the myer /David jones job. Will you immediately quit the current option 1 job and go to Myers/David jones instead?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yup, exactly. For non degree and non professional jobs, it's very high. Btw, I saw your signature, approximately how much an hour do you earn now as a professional accountant?
We don't get paid by the hour and it ranges depending on exact role, employer, experience level, etc... based on my current salary, it's somewhere in the $70-$100 an hour range (assuming a 7.5 hour workday... which isn't really that accurate).

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
We don't get paid by the hour and it ranges depending on exact role, employer, experience level, etc... based on my current salary, it's somewhere in the $70-$100 an hour range.
Wow!!!!!! That's A LOT! is this in a big 4 accounting firm?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it is, and remember I'm 27 now so my salary expectations of any role I'd even consider are very different to the Op's position... but let's not derail this thread.

enoilgam

HSC
It depends on a lot of factors, but generally speaking, I put more of an emphasis on work environment than money. If you are working with bad managers/colleagues and in a business/team with a poor culture, it takes a lot out of you and has wider implications. Money is important to dont get me wrong, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little for the right organisation/role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)