Work experience / internships (1 Viewer)

ND

HSC
Seraphim: Which dept. you working in? Also, does CSFB have a lot of traders here in syd?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Do you have to be a member of CPA to enter the program? Coz there doesn't seem to be any online application that I can see.
I don't think so? CPA Passport is for uni students I think who are looking for unpaid work experience... based on the link you posted, it says;

[url said:
http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3F57FEDF-F9CD1FA7/cpa/hs.xsl/720_9865_ENA_HTML.htm[/url]]The work experience program gives you access to some of Australia’s finest accounting and finance students from universities and TAFEs across Australia.
Anyhow, I got out an old BRW issue (Nuclear Power, August 18-24, 2005) and there is an advertisement on the rear cover for CPA Passport 2005. Here's what it says;

2005 CPA Passport Work Experience Program said:
Catch the Best New Talent

"The program is an excellent way to assist with recruitment."
Roslyn Beg, Client Manager, Deloitte

"Excellent program for the student and our office."
David Reid, Office General Manager, Financial Audit Operations, Victorian Auditor General

Benefits to your Organisation
* Assess students' elegibility for future recruitment opportunities.
* Take on the students when it suits you.
* Students do not expect to be paid for their time.
* View academic transcripts to ensure the student is suitable.

Registrations open 1 July - 31 October 2005.

For more information visit www.cpaaustralia.com.au/links?workexperience or call 1300 73 73 73.
I hope that helps- I'm guessing because registration is closed, you'll have to wait until next year? Probably doesn't hurt to give 'em a call though. There are also likely to be CPA exhibits around the place- I remember seeing them at the Career path day (forgot proper name) at Macquarie Uni earlier this year.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
ND said:
Seraphim: Which dept. you working in? Also, does CSFB have a lot of traders here in syd?
Fixed Income - swaps

No, <5. CS is small in trading but a leader in underwriting.

ND

HSC
Ah cool. Just another question: do you know if all the guys in corp fin are com/law? Cos people i've talked to say that pretty much everyone in the IBD at mac bank are com/law, which is strange cos wtf do they know about modelling and valuation.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
ND said:
Ah cool. Just another question: do you know if all the guys in corp fin are com/law? Cos people i've talked to say that pretty much everyone in the IBD at mac bank are com/law, which is strange cos wtf do they know about modelling and valuation.
I've only met the IBers a couple of times but they are from diverse backgrounds - acst/fin and fin/math but mostly comm/law. also, to the best of my knowledge, csfb doesn't have an intern program for IB. The ones I spoke to were on some kind of scholarship (maybe uni arranged?).

Traditionally IB doesn't need such sophisticated mathematical modelling eg. fundamental analysis for M&A.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
§eraphim said:
I've only met the IBers a couple of times but they are from diverse backgrounds - acst/fin and fin/math but mostly comm/law. also, to the best of my knowledge, csfb doesn't have an intern program for IB. The ones I spoke to were on some kind of scholarship (maybe uni arranged?).

Traditionally IB doesn't need such sophisticated mathematical modelling eg. fundamental analysis for M&A.
Do you reckon you can get into IB with a BCom (Acct)/LLB degree, or would you need a major in Finance?

What sort of areas of finance would need a BSc (Maths) for i.e. where a BCom or BCom/LLB wouldn't really cut it?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know much about IB but a few of my sister's friends work in those companies (MB, DB, S&P, etc..) and most of them had an Acct/Fin background with work experience in Financial Services auditing.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Do you reckon you can get into IB with a BCom (Acct)/LLB degree, or would you need a major in Finance?

What sort of areas of finance would need a BSc (Maths) for i.e. where a BCom or BCom/LLB wouldn't really cut it?
I don't think the major is that important.

Those areas requiring quantitative ability. eg trading, quant, risk management, funds management, structuring, etc. However, opportunities are scarce. BCom/LLB opens up more opportunities.

Maybey ou should consider doing Actuarial Studies/Law. You could do anything with that degree.

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
§eraphim said:
I don't think the major is that important.

Those areas requiring quantitative ability. eg trading, quant, risk management, funds management, structuring, etc. However, opportunities are scarce. BCom/LLB opens up more opportunities.

Maybey ou should consider doing Actuarial Studies/Law. You could do anything with that degree.
I guess I won't rule anything out for now, but I'm doubting my mathematical ability - I read in the co-op book that you should have attained a high level in MX2 in the HSC to consider Actuarial - if their definition of "high" is ~96+ then I'd be a bit worried. Otherwise it probably would be good as far as job opportunities go. The likelihood is that I'll do Fins or Acct though.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yeah its possible... im in zurich financial services / life insurance atm and i just finished my first yr

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
:: ryan.cck :: said:
yeah its possible... im in zurich financial services / life insurance atm and i just finished my first yr
how did you get that role?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Idyll said:
I think their definition of high is probably around 90+. There are far more people taking on the actuarial major than there are people that get 96+ in 4u.
Are you doing Actuarial at uni? I'm guessing you probably need to have received 96+ in MX2 to get the Ds and HDs though...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Are you doing Actuarial at uni? I'm guessing you probably need to have received 96+ in MX2 to get the Ds and HDs though...
No, you don't. There are quite a lot of international students doing Actuarial Studies.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
§eraphim said:
how did you get that role?
someone gave me a link to the job application and i just applied through there ... not so much hardcore actuarial stuff it's more to do with simple unit pricing calculations in excel.. of our superannuation funds

ND

HSC
§eraphim said:

It's weird cos in the US/UK they are all finance guys.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I'm guessing you probably need to have received 96+ in MX2 to get the Ds and HDs though...
I know people who got Ds with low 90s in MX2. I think your decision should be based on your comparative advantage. If math was your worse subject, even if you got 95 for MX2, you would rather do law or something.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
As in BCom (Fins) or BCom (Fins)/LLB?
I think Science/Law is an excellent degree. You can pick up a lot of finance in the right maths courses. Also, Maths is just so much fun!

ND

HSC
§eraphim said:
I think Science/Law is an excellent degree. You can pick up a lot of finance in the right maths courses. Also, Maths is just so much fun!
Yeh, but sif do law. :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
§eraphim said:
I wish I could do Science as well, but I'd probably opt for Psych instead of Maths.

Btw. do the BCom (Fins) and BSci (Maths) overlap in a lot of places, or do they tend to focus on different areas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)