Work experience vs Honours IB (1 Viewer)

LawBrain

HSC
What do you guys reckon is more important to get a job as an investment banker?

An extra year of honours on top of my Commerce (Liberal Studies) (triple major) Degree or a year off to take summer, spring, autumn internships at JP Morgan, UBS etc.?

This would be if I didn't get an offer straight after finishing the degree.
I would already have fair bit of experience with a UBS business cadetship (4 years part-time) and being part of a number of Uni clubs/societies.

LawBrain

HSC
can you even get interneships after your penultimate year?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
can you even get interneships after your penultimate year?
Yes, you can still apply for internships after your penultimate year (depending on the actual internship program).

You seem to have extensive experience, why would you be choosing an internship program rather than a graduate program?

Tim035

HSC
Honours can be beneficial if you do exceptionally well (I.e. distinguished first class honours or university medal), otherwise work experience would be more beneficial, although if you've already completed a 4 year cadetship and you have good grades but still fail to get in to a grad program then you need to have a good look at wtf is going on, because you can only be stuffing the problem-solving tests or interviewing poorly (have you made it to the partners interview stage?)

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
If you didnt get an offer, probably honours... since work experience is something you wont be lacking

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
on a slightly unrelated note, how can one get first class honours btw? 80+ wam?

xxsupababexx

HSC
I actually think its 95+. My friend got 93 WAM in Comm majoring in Finance, but she didn't get in... Major competitive these days!

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
uhh no lol

to do honours, 75+

during your honours year the wam during that year determines which class you are in 1st = 85+ 2nd Upper 80+ 2nd 75+ 3rd 65+

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^OHHHH wowwwww.... thank you! Finance Honours looks awesome! but what about normal graduation dont people get like first class and shit?

deterministic

HSC
uhh no lol

to do honours, 75+

during your honours year the wam during that year determines which class you are in 1st = 85+ 2nd Upper 80+ 2nd 75+ 3rd 65+
That's the bare minimum. In finance they usually take the very top of the finance students applying (i think top 20 in cohort). So you would be hard pressed to find a supervisor (a good one anyway) if your WAM is less than 85.

I actually think its 95+. My friend got 93 WAM in Comm majoring in Finance, but she didn't get in... Major competitive these days!
Finding a supervisor willing to take you on is also part of getting in. Maybe no-one was willing to take her on.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^I think part of me just died...

That's so competitive! What about Accounting? lol

runnable

HSC
^I think part of me just died...

That's so competitive! What about Accounting? lol
I'm not sure if it's THAT competitive to do Finance honours. You have a decent shot at it with a D average from what I heard. With a low-mid 80s WAM, you should get in Finance honours quite easily.

PS. Long time no see Namu. I still remember you from my HSC days posting on these forums lol..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^OH really? When I saw that post about 85 being required I was like, "omg i am screwed coz i told all my employers i am doing honours lol!"

Yeah, i remember you back in 2008/09. What are you doing now? (actually i shall take this to personal message board lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)