• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Work in Bathurst? (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
With Jan 5th upon us, I'm in the middle of working through my options. I really want to go to Bathurst next year, but I need to know, how hard will it be for me to find work? I have years of fast food experience, another 6 months of retail/sales experience and will have my RSA and RCG by the time I get there. So, do you reckon I could find work within a month or so?

I'm still tossing up between the Gong, UTS and CSU at the moment, and Bathurst is winning -- only draw back is work, which I know I'd have if I went to UTS or UOW. (only other thing the Wollongong beats CSU in, is the beaches :p)

Any help would be appreciated, where to find work, if I should go down before Uni starts and try to find something then?

Thanks!

tabbi_neubeck

minus the neubeck part
HSC
well i would imagine it wouln't be too hard to find work in bathurst. Especially if you will have your rsa, you could probably be able to get a job at the uni bar. An by the sounds of things you have a pretty good work history, so you should get a job easy.

What are you hoping to study?

I hopefully will get into Primary Education.

Bathurst is a pretty good uni. It has preference for me for the fact i can still live at home if i get in. But i have already been contacted by UOW saying they would force an offer for me, an admittedly Wollongong is a lovely place. But you have to weigh everything up, and bathurst is definitely the way to go.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yeah, I know what you mean.

I did my HSC in 2003 and ended up in Wollongong (I was 1.5 below the cut off) and they forced an offer for me because I had good marks in humanties (and I was applying for Arts/Science) -- They really do look after you there. Esspecially with forcing offers for you. But I ended up not being able to afford Uni last year so I droped out, took the year off to figure out what I really wanted to do. But the whole 2 weeks (lol) I spent in the Gong, were nice. People are lovley, campus is great and the beaches! It's a big thing, leaving behind my beaches! I live in Sydney, so Cronulla/Gaery (national park) is by place, but all along Wollongong, is great beaches.

But enough of that, I loved Bathurst when I went to visit, more than i liked the Gong, which is saying something! I've visited UTS, USYD, UNSW and Wollongong of course, but CSU is the first Uni I've been to that I felt I'd actually belong. Just the work thats a bit worrying.

UniBar would be great though! I'm sorta looking atm -- Panthers or one of the pubs in the town would be good too. But UniBar would be the best! Just have to start looking as soon as I get there, I guess ;)

You only need to get a bus to Uni then, doncha? Only half an hour or so? Thats pretty good then :)

I'm applying for Nursing/Early Childhood Ed as my 1st pref, but I was looking at Psych/Primary Ed for a while too! But I'm sticking with Nursing, I want to eventually work for the flying doctors, or do grad medicine and then work for the flying doctors, or go to Coonababaran and work in the district hospital, or even Dubbo Base. well see, I guess ;)

Anyway mate, thanks for your help, see ys in 2 months!

Fro

HSC
White Rabbit... from the shire are we? As am i.
When i first left i did miss the lack of beach in Bathurst - but think of it this way - its only really hot in Bathurst for maybe 2 months at the start and one at the end. And its only a 3 hour trip home.... which isnt THAT bad...
As for work. You'd be surprised how hard it is... everyone is in the same boat and doing the same thing as you. RSA and RCG will come in handy but wont guarantee you a job.
Oh and PS - unibar work wouldnt be that great - you'd miss out on some great bar nights. I'd say Panthers or some of the other pubs there would be your best bet. I know the RSL were looking for people toward the end of last year...
Itd be worthwhile to go down a coupla weeks before O week and go suss it out
Good luck with it anyways
Hopefully you'll be serving me sometime throughout the year at one of the many pubs in ol B town
Cya,
Fro

bex

HSC
i absolutely agree.. bathurst campus, whilst kind of harsh on the eye on some places does have a spesh feel about it..

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL Fro, I'm from Hurstville, just outta the shire. ;)

Think I might, go down a few weeks earlier and see what I can manage :)

Thanks for your help guys!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Just gotta ask thou Fro, you know the Basin in Mainbar? In the National Park just by the footbridge? Is there anoything like that in Bathurst? As much as I enjoy Cronulla and the surf, nothing ever beats the inlets in the National Park. So much nicer and much more fun to play stupid games in ;) I'm trying to remember what river runs through Bathurst and where, but I can't for the life of me remember.

Where bouts in the Shire ya from?

Fro

HSC
I agree - i love the Nasho! Nothing beats Audley! Fuckin love the place.
As for anything like that in Bathurst... There is one place we went last year - i cant remember the name. Was about a 30 min drive. But it was like fresh water good ol' swimmin' hole!
We just had beers and barby there and that was pretty cool
.... I dont like to admit it but im from Menai....
Hehe... i regret living in the slums....

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Hehe, Menai ain't too bad. Could be worse. Could be Jannali ;)

The Nasho is bloody awsome though! Can't say I've been to Audley, drive past it alot though, have to stop next time ;) Love Mainbar Basin though, Gaery is good when you want a big beach though

bex

HSC
i think fro is talking bout flat rock.. i went there last year with chanel, soph and jules and we had to army crawl under this barb wire fence then dodge cow paddies and long itchy weeds in the field before getting toasted on a rock and covered in mossies... argh! seeing as it was our first time navigating to flat rock on our own something tells me we werent actually at flat rock!

bex

HSC
also.. i forgot to mention that whilst im not shire bred im definately shire born.. i lived in sutherland till i was 4 :) ....and thats my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)