WOrk Load of DOuble Degree e.g. BCom/BSci VS a Single Degree BCom (1 Viewer)

Razengen

RaVeR MeMbEr
HSC
Is the work load of a double degree more than double the work of a single degree ? and also for a double degree do you attend Uni lectures twice as much as a single degree, e.g. Single degree of BCom has 10 hours of lecture a week, but if you do a double degree that 10 hours become 20 hours ?... explain how it works please

sunny

meh.
HSC
A double degree doesn't mean everything is doubled, including the cost.

Two degrees can be very similar in the sense that a number of the subjects are the common. A double degree lets you do those common subjects, plus both sets of subjects that are unique to each degree.

Thus instead of doing those common subjects twice for both the degrees and taking 6 or 8 years to do two degrees, you achieve the requirements for both degrees in 4 or 5 years.

A double degree has just as much units of credit as everybody else in each year, they just do more years to qualify for two degrees.

If these concepts are confusing you I suggest you read the Virtual Handbook

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In a nutshell, a double degree isn't double the workload, its just 'almost' double the time at uni (ie 5 yrs instead of 3 yrs)

beverly

HSC
N/A
i'm a comm/sci and basically i would say the major point of difference is for commerce, a 6UOC course will usually be 3-4 contact hrs per wk, whereas for science, 6UOC will involve 6 contact hrs per wk (mostly due to 2-3 hr labs). in first yr i was going to uni 5 days a wk, and all my commerce friends were only going 3 or 4 days.

rand0m3r

HSC
yep, double degree-ers generally have more contact hrs, but i think comm/law is a bit of an exception. comm/sci certainly has more contact hrs coz science subjects can be ~6hrs/wk whereas comm are usually about 3. so 18 hrs/wk for comm/sci is pretty normal.

Cab31

HSC
Double degrees are a fair bit more work. But it is worth it in the long run - for that extra work you end up saving time.

ace

is retired
HSC
Doing a double degree doesn't mean you'll necessarily spend more contact hours per week at uni.

It depends on the subjects you take during the semester. Take science or engineering classes, and your contact hours skyrocket, take commerce classes, virtually no hours at all.

So in the end, it really depends on the individual classes which make up your contact time per week at uni. It just happens that commerce doesn't require you all that much, that doesn't mean cause its a single degree its less time, its just a coincidence in this instance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)