Work or Uni? (1 Viewer)

bulldogzbabe

HSC
Hey guys ... i was just wondering how many ppl work full time and do uni as well? Is there any way i can work during the day...then do uni say at night or something? how come unis dont have evening classes! should i do it by distance instead?

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
uni is not so flexible what ever time they set for a lecture/ tutorial thats final, the only way might be is to either do part time or do full time uni but pick tutorials which are in the afternoon and skip all lectures as they arent compulsory.
Oh ye my brother works as civil engineer + does uni part time and he skips all lectures just attends tutorials.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Some courses deliberately schedule some tutorials for evening/night for part-time students, others don't bother at all. Like someone said your best bet is to try and get into a tutorial in the late afternoon and skip the lectures.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I suppose part-time study could be an option...though I don't know if we have that in Australia, or how common it is.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Working full time and doing fulltime uni is a hell of a commitment. Are you sure you want to do that?
If you're doing forty hours a week you're not really going to have time to make classes, so you might want to think about external study. However, with external study you usually still have to do the readings and it is a lot harder for frist years because you don't have the class interaction to sharpen your skills.

Have you thought about part time work? Or about coming to uni for a year and getting the hang of it all and then getting full time work?

Or, in case you are wondering, it is possible to survive off centrelink and casual work whilst at uni, just don't ever expect to have spare cash.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
bulldogzbabe said:
Hey guys ... i was just wondering how many ppl work full time and do uni as well? Is there any way i can work during the day...then do uni say at night or something? how come unis dont have evening classes! should i do it by distance instead?
Bachelor degrees for school leavers generally offer only day classes, because most school leavers going into uni do it on a full time basis, they may have a casual job waitering at the local restaurant during off hours.

It is certainly possible to work and study part time but it will probably require a flexible job (or a job with flexible hours) and an understanding boss who knows you're studying.

It also depends on what kind of course you're doing. Some courses like arts have relatively few contact hours. Other courses like medical science have crazy contact hours because you have to fit in laboratory classes on top of tutorials and lectures.

Season

HSC
bulldogzbabe said:
Look its possible but seriously DON'T DO IT

I have seen waaay too many people screwed over by taking this approach. Even doing Full time work and part-time uni screws people over. Part-time work and uni works okay...

A close friend had to repeat a few courses because of this and my brother lost an entire semester of law, as well as a girlfriend. I know others... but I've never seen it work out well.

Look you're a uni student, you're supposed to be poor, that's part of the charm.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Jachie said:
I suppose part-time study could be an option...though I don't know if we have that in Australia, or how common it is.
Yeah part time exists. I did it, you rock up for uni 2days a week. Easy. But as someone already pointed out it makes the degree twice as long to complete

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yeh if you wana do uni properly you should be commited..after all are you not going to uni to get a occupation in the end anyway? um some people can handle it but its very hard..i have not worked at all because ive seen that most of my friends who work just fail or get low grades..and im not aiming for that so yeah..if you think you can handle it then part time is ok, but really its difficult for the most.

tomato8824

HSC
bulldogzbabe said:
I'm a Vietnamese. In my country, just only do uni, U can be find a good job. But i think that U should stand on own Ur feet, not need uni. Uni is very good and usefull but not need if U have no ability.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
tomato8824 said:
I'm a Vietnamese. In my country, just only do uni, U can be find a good job. But i think that U should stand on own Ur feet, not need uni. Uni is very good and usefull but not need if U have no ability.
thats good advice, im going to drop out of uni now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)