work work work (1 Viewer)

mememe

Hey how many hours can i except to devote to a job while at uni? I kinda have to support myself and that means i need a bit less than $200 a week to cover accommodation, living etc. Is that, uh, what's the word - impossible?

Is it hard to find employment or get shifts to work around your lectures and classes? etc etc anything else remotely relevant is welcome.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
ummm it probably depends on your timetable.. but im sure u can do weekends at a couple of nights?
if ur 18 i think u get around $13 an hour so maybe 3-4 times a week..
alot of supervisors at my work are currently at uni, see if any shops need supervisors? im sure macquarie centre will have a vacancy somewhere for you lol

psychopath

HSC
if you can make it
tutoring is the way to go
i've landed a tutoring job, which earns up to $25 an hour
very cool

mememe

How would i land that job? I'm moving up to macquarie from whoop-whoop and i know nothing about anything in sydney.

Leanne

HSC
if u do tutoring..did u have to get high 90's for that subject in the hsc?? cos i got all in the 80's.....would i be up to the standards??

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
maybe primary tutoring is a better option? it cant be that hard to tutor 11/12 year olds?
then again the uai for primary teaching at acu is 88.. mmm :|

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
private tutoring is the way to go! (better pay, and times to suit yourself) Hurry up and go reap up some customers now!

doe

HSC
N/A
last year i worked (on average) 8 hours a week with ~50hours of uni work scheduled (note that scheduled does not imply completed ;).) i also had very flexible working conditions and stuff like that so it was pretty cool. Most but not all sales sorts of jobs will want you to work thurday night (late night shopping) and saturday and/or sunday. also, if you're living in the uni colleges and will be going home over semester breaks you'll probably lose your job :(

tutoring is a good idea, theres lots of little newspapers with $30 classifieds, the north shore times (aka the north shore whines) is one, there are a few tutors advertising there.

as an aside, i spent about a year working full time and going to uni parttime. i did one subject a semester and still only got a P in it. Unless you're a genius and can do heaps of subjects or can handle having to wait 10 years to finish your degree, id say put up with being poor for a few years and get your degree done. that said, i have a friend who works full time and goes to uni more or less full time. his marks suck but unless you want to be an academic marks dont matter, passing does. and even if you want to be an academic there are still many options open to you if you dont have straight HD's.

sydney is an expensive city :{

oh, theres also the careers development office (http://www.careers.mq.edu.au/) which may be of use but strikes me as largely being run by idiots. they do have a list of jobs but for example i have registered myself under the "Science and Technology" category, and here are some jobs available that were mailed to me last friday:

Book Publishing industry 12 month internship
Graduate Human Resources Advisor - Full time
Mother's Helper - Part time Casual
Volunteer for Brekfest Film and Music Festival

handy.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol! so true

except huy uses different language, it's not him

doe

HSC
N/A
whos huy? is this similarity a good thing or a bad thing? :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
no way, how could you now know huy?? these poor poor n00bs.

huy was just about the most helpful member ever on this site, he helped everyone with everything. he decided to leave on the first of this year as part of his new years resolutions - because he spent too much time on here, and wanted to spend more time on other things.

it's a good thing. everyone loved him, and everyone misses him. there have been threads in NS about this in the last month

also, you post was very long - a feature of huys.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
Originally posted by mememe
Hey how many hours can i except to devote to a job while at uni? I kinda have to support myself and that means i need a bit less than $200 a week to cover accommodation, living etc. Is that, uh, what's the word - impossible?

Is it hard to find employment or get shifts to work around your lectures and classes? etc etc anything else remotely relevant is welcome.
dont forget you need to set time for your regular sex sex sex as well -)

RIZAL

HSC
try applying for youth allowance.

if you can't get that, you can get ausstudy if you can satisfy the requirements. From what I've heard (this could be wrong), you need to be independent from your parents and make $15 000 in 18 months to qualify for austudy. If you could get austudy and living away from home allowance you could be looking at $200 a week from the govt.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
milkyway, myer is only in melbourne isn't it?

milkyway

I may not be from Syd... but im pretty positive that there is a Myers near the Queen Victoria Buidling in the middle of Syd... and theres one at Pac Fair on Gold Coast... not jus a melb thing

ND

HSC
Milkyway i think you're thinking of David Jones on Market St (or is it King St?).

edit:actually you're thking of grace bors, which is in teh end of QVB/pitt st mall.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)