World Cities Essay Question (1 Viewer)

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
can any1 help me out here??

i was so sure that the essay question was going to be on mega cities, but i was wrong!!

i memorised the board ofstudies world cities definition word for word and then went on to talk about each of those thingos, hang on i'll give the definition:

" a large city that has outstripped its national urban network and become part of an international global network; cetnres of political power, world trade and communications; leaders in banking and finance; stage world entertainment and sporting spectacles, and are the headquaters of NGOs and tourist meccas. They are the command centers in the borderless domain of the new global economy"

so yeah, anyways, i went on and wrote heaps on each one, integrating the question of course

have i done this right or am i total idiot??

cheers, Josh

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
hey ....that sounds about right...
world cities:: control/command centres in the network of cities around the globe. Major financil centres, transport/communication hubs, HQ of TNC's... tourist attractions::

yeh i wrote about pretty much the same stuff but they're NOT the centres of political power- eg. Sydney- world city, Canberra- politcal power ;)

dun worry you probably did heaps well! :D

WavMick

I am spewing man. I can't believe this question. I studied 18/20 possible questions they could ask for this bloody test in ecosystems and urban places and 3/4 for urban places and world cties comes up. I looked at it and went, U CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!.

Luckily though i read over the textbook the night before. I didn't write anything about politcal power, but i worte about TNC hq's, dominance of the four major cities and how the other cities rely on them. HOw they have created a global network through technology, communication transport hubs. I wrote about sydney's cultural authority, but thats it. it went for about 8 pages. But if i knew more i could have written a lot more :chainsaw:

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
hey kids

aha!! the great debate!

what did u guys refer to as "World Cities?"

We were taught that the dominant world cities are London, New York and Tokyo.

According to the UN Sydney is classed as a secondary city along with Johannesburg and other places

Paris was seen as a dominant world city by some sources but not by other sources

i refferred to the three dominant world cities as well as explaining the actual heirachy according to the UN

is this right, or what's the go??

Thanx, Josh

melissella

i had trouble with the network thing. i started talking about relationships of dominance and dependence (accidentely- then realised that i had forgotten to answer the actual question)- saying that the relationships between the dominant world cities, normal world cities and other urban areas created a complex network- and related this to the roles of world cities- and primary roles of each city eg washington with politics; paris with fashion; etc. but i had trouble figuring out what to say with the wole 'networks' thing.

Overshoot

I am in year 11 and geography was my only HSC exam.

World Cities were about 20% of the entire area of study. There was NOTHING on Mega Cities in the extended response, and there was no opportunity for me to refer to my large city case study (Sydney) or my chosen suburb (Pyrmont, which showed gentrification/urban renewal and consolidation). The thing that annoyed me the most was that people who's large-city case-studies happened to be World Cities had a huge advantage, even though the syllabus did not specify this (I wrote-learned the syllabus, I knew it back-to-front like all of my subjects).

Those who's large city case study was London, Paris, New York or Tokyo had an advantage because they could use their knowledge more broadly because these cities are both world cities and large cities, even though the syllabus did not specifically require this. :)

I suppose what I'm saying is, technically, the question was valid. I could complete it without referring to a case study. However, those who's large city case studies HAPPENED to be World Cities had a massive advantage because they could have used that too.

If Sydney actually was a World City, I would have used it. That question was a disgrace on behalf of the Board of Studies.

What can you do though? I s'pose there's no use b!tching about it now. I'm not disappointed because I think I did badly (on the contrary, I was happy with the overall exam), I just think the purpose of the examination was to test a person's knowledge of the syllabus. The BOS screwed that one up.

PS: I did talk about global networks. I copied the Citicorp/Citibank (whatever) diagram from the broadsheet and used that as an example of a global network. Seeing as they keep stressing to us to "refer to the broadsheet wherever possible in your extended responses", I was pretty happy that I picked that one up. :)

Overshoot

Forgot to comment on this:

Originally posted by eLmo
yeh i wrote about pretty much the same stuff but they're NOT the centres of political power- eg. Sydney- world city, Canberra- politcal power ;)
1. Sydney isn't a world city, it is a secondary city. A world city has to (among other things) have a population of at least 8 million as determined by the UN I think. This is just one requirement of a World City that Sydney doesn't comply with.

2. World Cities can still be a centre of political power even if they aren't the actual political capitals. An example is New York. It has a huge political influence on the rest of the US even though Washington DC is the capital.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Originally posted by Overshoot
Forgot to comment on this:

1. Sydney isn't a world city, it is a secondary city. A world city has to (among other things) have a population of at least 8 million as determined by the UN I think. This is just one requirement of a World City that Sydney doesn't comply with.

2. World Cities can still be a centre of political power even if they aren't the actual political capitals. An example is New York. It has a huge political influence on the rest of the US even though Washington DC is the capital.

oh ok..... isn't it a mega city which is 8 million+ population ?????

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
elmo's right

mega cities= a large urban agglomeration of at least 8 million inhabitants

so which cities are actually world cities?? refer to my other message

am i right or????

josh

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
yeh tokyo, london & new york are dominant world cities

LA, miami, amsterdam, paris, sinapore- etc are major world cities

Sydney, madrid, toronto, sao, paulo, hong kong, moscow- etc are secondary world cities....

well thats what the text book said anyway - so thats what i know... i reckon u were right though josh.

Marty

HSC
world cities = centres of cultural and economic authority

among other things

~~yes that do have major political influence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)