World Maths Day (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
What will you do on World Maths Day, March 14? I'm planning to upload an article I'm writing called Professional Mathematics Versus Amateur Mathematics to the internet.

Here's another article in today's MX.

Maths Test: Kids primed for numbers, MX, Thursday, March 8, 2007, page 2:

More than 250,000 children around the world will compete in a 48-hour maths competition on the internet.

The March 14 event will see students attempting to correctly answer more than 10 million maths problems.

Events include 60-second maths quizzes as well as speed and accuracy puzzles.

Prizes will be given to children who answer each millionth question.

For more details visit http://www.worldmathsday.com

EDIT: My article is now online <a href="http://users.tpg.com.au/nanahcub/pmvam.pdf">here</a>

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
As for the date, correct to 2 decimal places, &pi;&asymp;3.14

So it's also known as Pi Day and is Einstein's birthday.

I think I'll have a pie for lunch on that day!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Yeah. A perfect day for a 4 unit lesson. So here's the article I wrote about <a href="http://users.tpg.com.au/nanahcub/pmvam.pdf">professional mathematics versus amateur mathematics</a>

vafa

HSC
N/A
What difference does that make?

at last there are a few jobs for mathematicians?

and only those mathematicians who are on the top will gain those jobs.

So the micky mouse just wasted his time and his life.

I believe there is no Amateur and professional mathematicians. All mathematicians were micky mouse at the beginning and then they developed their knowledge. as an eaxmple i can say look at complex numbers. first of all we just had natural or counting numbers and then mathematicians extended the number system because the needs arose. and at last we have complex numbers.
but what i am saying is a real mathematician never keeps the same knowlege; he needs to exten his knowledge to be able to discover more in mathematics.

HSC
N/A
vafa said:
a real mathematician never keeps the same knowlege; he needs to exten his knowledge to be able to discover more in mathematics.
That's right. And that is another thing which distinguishes an amateur from a professional.

There are some amateurs who think they know everything, whereas the truth is they know very little. The professional however is more open minded and will continually learn new mathematics.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
I don't think I get it. Professional mathematics and amateur mathematics boil down to conciseness of proofs? Rigor?

I think your essay should be titled "Using mathematics vs. learning mathematics."

We don't lump an analysis text on year 11 students for the sake of concise proofs and rigour.

HSC
N/A
Don't you want rigour? Kaye Stacey does. She wrote an article for the Board of Studies in 1998 and recommended that a review of maths courses maintains rigour. Several submissions (including my own) have been presented to the Board of Studies since then which also make this recommendation.

Anyway, the AAMT has decided to have a National Mathematics Day 2007 on Friday 18 May 2007: http://www.aamt.edu.au/members/mathsmonth if you're interested.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i will sit there and thank the board of studies for not making maths compulsory by writing them a lovely letter
i will thank my curriculum ppl at school for not making maths compulsory for year 11
i will write a letter of complaint for forcing me to do 4 years of advanced maths in junior years just cos im a selective student
i will burn my old maths books in a big bonfire in the backyard and invite over all my other maths hating friends to join in as we dance around it chanting " OH BRAVE NEW WORLD! WE LOVE KING LEAR! COME JOIN US ON OUR PHYSICAL JOURNEY AS WE USE GENDERED LANGUAGE TO CONVEY THIS IDEA"
yep
sounds like a plan

HSC
N/A
Don't be such a philistine.

Rather than burning your books, consider giving them to someone else more deserving of them than you.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
buchanan said:
Don't be such a philistine.

Rather than burning your books, consider giving them to someone else more deserving of them than you.
lol actually i ripped em up and recycled them :p
and i left my textbooks for my brother to use when he needs them so its all good.
and you guys have fun on your little maths day :D

HSC
N/A
Seems like someone had quite a bit of trouble with maths back in Year 10. Don't worry, though, you can always go back to your dumbed down subjects. :rolleyes:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
yeah i had trouble with it, but at least i tried, i didn't sit there staring at the wall or anything, i gave it everything i had but could only achieve marks in the 70s in advanced so i decided to quit it.
Also i don't think 4U english is exactly "dumbed down" nor are a few of my other subjects, i am very sorry if you do highly intellectual subjects as I evidently will never be able to compete with such standards.
another point is that i was just JOKING people , cmon , you mathslovers really need to lighten up sometimes, i don't love english THAT much, i wouldn't ACTUALLY light a bonfire and start chanting excerpts from Brave New World, King Lear etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)