Worried for my sibling's course choices (1 Viewer)

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Ok so my sister just finished HSC like yesterday. And of course, from that she decides her course choices. For a while I knew she was going to pick up Law(she's been wanting to do Law forever, most of her subjects do cater to that) and well as Science(Advanced very likely), what is bothering me is that she's also considering Engineering/Law. Before everyone starts giving me crap about why Engineering is great etc, we both have had a detailed examination of the typical Engineering degree at both USYD and UNSW(the 2 uni's she wants to go to), she IS NOT KEEN on any of the subjects offered and the lack of flexibility seen at USYD contributes heavily(trust me I know I did Engineering there for a bit, switching to Science was the best move, but that story is for another time).

The thing is she wants to do Engineering for all the wrong reasons(think highly highly idealistic), and I don't think she's ever displayed an interest in any of the Engineering type industries at all. It doesn't help that she's in the running for a scholarship from UNSW(I think it's just interview stage for now) and she wants to hang onto Engineering just for the scholarship. Heck she doesn't even have the slightest idea of what specific stream she wants to do. Basically she has her head up in the clouds regarding the other degree apart from Law, I keep trying to get through to her, it doesn't help that I left or in my family's mind "chickened out"(they're Sri-Lankan/Indian btw) of Engineering(for a variety of reasons like the coursework, people there being dickheads, lack of flexibility and many more). It doesn't also help that Dad is good friends with some of the professors at USYD(he's Civil) and is pretty much pushes the message that "Engineering is always good and is better than everything else".

Bottom line is, I need help getting through to my sister, and how do I do it? I do not want her going through everything I had to go through, it will break my heart if she has a hard time at uni and is taken advantaged of and finds herself regretting it like me.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
If she wants to do engineering (or engineering combined with law), let her try it in my opinion. She might find that she does not like it like you did, although she should be allowed to make that decision and experience that for herself.

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
If she wants to do engineering (or engineering combined with law), let her try it in my opinion. She might find that she does not like it like you did, although she should be allowed to make that decision and experience that for herself.
A part of me seriously wants to believe that, but I don't she's the type who would leave :( and it doesn't help that there's family who does not see what's wrong here, they're just too happy that there's a child willing to do what they say, and is willing to redeem an imaginary disgrace. She's just too impulsive and is not making an informed decision about her future and is just one of those people doing it for the money :/

I know for a fact she is really not into it, we looked at practically every Engineering subject from every discipline, she does not like any of them

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Tell her to do law and environmental engg.

That will keep her science/law option open but will allow her to do engg as well.

Yay.
(I don't think USyd offers this combo (not sure about UNSW))

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not too sure about USYD but at UNSW she can decide to do either Science/LLB or Eng/LLB and if she hates one of them, she could internal transfer to the other combined law course without having to meet any WAM/GPA requirements.

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
just let her decide for herself, and she will change, like you.
but hey, at least it will balance out the engineering ratio :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)