Worth dropping to general this late? (1 Viewer)

Ballinnn

HSC
I believe I would have a better chance at achieving a band 6 in general maths then 2 unit and usually my school gets around 10-15 band 6's in general so i think i could easily be in that co hort. Is it hard to catch up with the content and learn it in a small period of time ?

jarrodoliver1

HSC
The content isn't all that difficult, but it would be hard to catch up. Think about the decision very very hard. What are you scoring in 2 unit at the moment? What's your ranking?

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you do decide to drop, then you actually have to work in general.
A lot of people in my cohort dropped form 2u to general and didn't work because general was 'really easy'!
Many of them ended up getting band 4/5's
I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to catch up, just need to work quite a bit to catch up but ultimately it's your decision how much work you want to do

enoilgam

HSC
General is a lot easier than 2 unit, but you still need to put in some work if you want to do well. This is especially true for you if you decide to drop this late, because there is a bit of content exclusive to General.

Ballinnn

HSC
how many chapters are within the coarse. my ranking is probably in the bottom 10 out of 60...
i have a tutor so i guess hed push me to catch up . So the content is a lot easier to understand though?

Hazballs

HSC
I'm thinking of dropping to general if i don't get over 85 in my mathematics half yearly, i don't think it would be to hard to catch up if you just did a little bit each day in the holiday.. The content is pretty easy from what i've heard but theres some things that are slightly difficult i guess

WeaselPowa

HSC
how many chapters are within the coarse. my ranking is probably in the bottom 10 out of 60...
i have a tutor so i guess hed push me to catch up . So the content is a lot easier to understand though?
Although it is very late right now, if you are in the bottom 10, then you really should drop 2 unit. Work hard and catch up in general. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE COURSE. Although the course may seem easy, it is still very necessary to study.

wheel

HSC
imo why would you even bother dropping to general.
try and do a bit more work, the 2 unit content is not that difficult if you put a bit of effort in.
general maths is obviously not a great scaling on your atar, doing okay in mathematics is a lot better both for your atar, your uni applications and job opportunities in the future.
what do you want to do next year?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
imo why would you even bother dropping to general.
try and do a bit more work, the 2 unit content is not that difficult if you put a bit of effort in.
general maths is obviously not a great scaling on your atar, doing okay in mathematics is a lot better both for your atar, your uni applications and job opportunities in the future.
what do you want to do next year?
LOL not sure if serious? The uni doesn't even look at your subjects, getting the atar is the important thing for getting into the course. Regarding jobs, again this is irrelevant.

aceer

HSC
It is relevant for some uni courses eg. If you do general it is unlikely that you would do well in engineering

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
two people from my school dropped to general after half yearlies, they didn't work that hard from what they told me. One of them got 96 the other 94.

enoilgam

HSC
two people from my school dropped to general after half yearlies, they didn't work that hard from what they told me. One of them got 96 the other 94.
Dont always believe what you hear, it's subjective anyway.

mac1996

HSC
do not drop to general
a lot of people tend to think they will achieve better marks by dropping to general, but they dont end up going as good as they thought they would
2u is not hard
just requires a lot of practise if u want to get into that top band
general is a lot tricker because its more wordy

WeaselPowa

HSC
Well obviously, but doing general doesn't "stop" someone doing engineering.
It's safe to assume that someone who cannot do 2-unit maths probably cannot do engineering. Yes, it doesn't "stop" someone from doing engineering but it will waste a lot of time and effort that would be well spent in something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)