Would 14 Units in yr 11 & 12 be too much? (1 Viewer)

nipsta

CEO
HSC
Hello, I have subject selection comming up soon and i was wondering if doing 14 Units would be too much.. people i know said that i would burn out by the end of year 11 =/ But then again if its too much, then couldn't i be able to just drop the subjects?

Im think of doing:
Extention 1 mathematics ( 3 unit)
Extention 1 Enghish (3 unit)
Economics
Business Studies
Design and TEchnology
Accounting ( which is the course which allows me to do 14 units because its outside of school)

If i was to drop subjects Im thinking of droping my extentions cause i have aspirations to become an entrepreneur and four courses besides english and math relates to business :) But the again people told me that If im able to cope with extention, that i should keep it cause of scaling.. Arrgh soo confusin.. what do you guys think?

cs01001

HSC
14 might be too much, see how you perform in each of them then make a decision, but really you shouldn't factor in scaling when choosing subjects.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you should never base your decision as to whether to drop a course based on scaling...thats just silly.
Youll start prelim next year, so just see how it goes first. If you can handle it then by all means continue with 14 units, but if not then 12 units is still pretty good since you still have that safety net of 2 units.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
YES!!

my friend did 14 units and he dropped to 12 after 2 days....
but if u think u like those subjects go for it

u can always drop a subject

jirwin

HSC
nipsta said:
Hello, I have subject selection comming up soon and i was wondering if doing 14 Units would be too much.. people i know said that i would burn out by the end of year 11 =/ But then again if its too much, then couldn't i be able to just drop the subjects?

Im think of doing:
Extention 1 mathematics ( 3 unit)
Extention 1 Enghish (3 unit)
Economics
Business Studies
Design and TEchnology
Accounting ( which is the course which allows me to do 14 units because its outside of school)

If i was to drop subjects Im thinking of droping my extentions cause i have aspirations to become an entrepreneur and four courses besides english and math relates to business :) But the again people told me that If im able to cope with extention, that i should keep it cause of scaling.. Arrgh soo confusin.. what do you guys think?
As previous posters have said, go for it and if u can't cope, just drop some units. ur subject choice is good but involves a LOT of work. the work load for dnt is pretty high in yr 12 with the major project but it would be a great subject if u want to become an entrepreneur as altho its not the main focus, there is topics on it.

if i was u, i would take those subjects and see how it goes for the first term. year eleven is where u make all the mistakes :).

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
just start off with 14 units (assuming the lines work out in your favour) and give them all a go. it's most likely you'll want to drop down to 12/13, but this way you'll know which subject you like least/are worse at.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I suggest you only do 12 units, 13 at most. Accounting should only be once a week at Tafe, but it's alot of work, especially since 70% of your hsc is completed in Yr 11. If you do 14 units, you will get only a few free periods and the work will be stressful. Don't base your subject selections purely on scaling, you'll regret later.

Yr 12 - Maximum of 12 units, extra 2 units can be your back up but if you are doing well in all your subjects then just keep 10u...don't stress yourself out with too many subjects, expecially in yr 12.

Do the subjects you know you will perform well in. Accounting, Eco, Business Studies and math are extremely time consuming subjects...so keep that in mind before you choose 14 units. :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
magpam said:
LOL speak for yourself
i do all three - accounting, business studies and eco
accounting was such a bludge
business is basically common sense
and eco well i cant really say
anyways the point is study is what you make of it not the subject itself. if you choose to bludge then obviously it wont be time consuming.

anyways i like youre taste in subjects
really good choice. i really enjoy accounting, business well not so much eco but i can live with it :)

edit: also most of the topics interrelate which makes it a little easier
Did i say anywhere that it was hard? Accounting is easy, so is business (i dropped it after yr 11) but it's TIME CONSUMING and when you're doing 14 units it wont be easy to maintain high marks in everything! Clearly this guy doesn't want to bludge, he won't have that opportunity with those subjects either. I think that he actually wants to do well.

Business was as boring as shit too, i need to enjoy my classes in order to do well...

Last edited:

cuppy

HSC
N/A
its better to try then drop if you don't like any of the subjects or if you are not doing as well as you would have liked. i have a friend who did 13 units and got a uai of 98.something.

cs01001

HSC
Yeah, give yourself more options at the beginning.

nipsta

CEO
HSC
Thank you for ur advises!.
hmmm.. but i think i would enjoy business, economics and accounting..
because i really enjoy subjects that has nething to do with business :)
So i wouldnt mind spending alot of time on those subjects..
I started to gain intrest in business after i chose commerce in yr 9 and 10, and i came 1st in commerce last yr with 98% not to bost or anything.. and we had a commerce asignment due yesterday where we had to do a business plan, and i spent the whole night doing it and did it until 7.30 am =_= had 30 min sleep and went to school. People did 6-10 pages on that and i think i went over boered and did 35 pages =S.. Feel sorry for my com teacher..

But what im trying to say is that i think i would enjoy these subjectss, although i really cant say that cause i never tried it and i dont intend to bludge any of my subjects either. But just a little scared that i might not cope... and " ill burn out at the end of yr 11" like people told me.. i heard that yr 11 iss wayyy harder then yr 10.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
nipsta said:
Thank you for ur advises!.
hmmm.. but i think i would enjoy business, economics and accounting..
because i really enjoy subjects that has nething to do with business :)
So i wouldnt mind spending alot of time on those subjects..
I started to gain intrest in business after i chose commerce in yr 9 and 10, and i came 1st in commerce last yr with 98% not to bost or anything.. and we had a commerce asignment due yesterday where we had to do a business plan, and i spent the whole night doing it and did it until 7.30 am =_= had 30 min sleep and went to school. People did 6-10 pages on that and i think i went over boered and did 35 pages =S.. Feel sorry for my com teacher..

But what im trying to say is that i think i would enjoy these subjectss, although i really cant say that cause i never tried it and i dont intend to bludge any of my subjects either. But just a little scared that i might not cope... and " ill burn out at the end of yr 11" like people told me.. i heard that yr 11 iss wayyy harder then yr 10.
LOL, it is. Year 10 is nothing --you should seriously enjoy this year! As for your subjects try 14 units to begin with, if you cant cope drop what you need to drop! With your commerce subjects, since you enjoy them, do them all because you're most likely to well in them. I think you'll enjoy accounting....if you do it at Tafe. :) And remember that yr 11 does not count towards your HSC - the marks that is. So if you completely fuck up some subjects, you can always redeem yourself in yr 12.

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
Year 9-10 Commerce is a mix of everything, Legal/Business/Economics etc. And Yeah the transition from year 10 - 11 is big.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
magpam said:
i found the transition from years 9 to 10 greater that 10 to 11. iono i think its just because of my school. they have a policy where there are no exams (no half yearlies/ yearlies) ever as well as no assessments until year 10 which is a bust cause by year 10 the cram you with a lot of assessments and you just have to learn to cope.
wow, seriously? that's insane. :confused: your school sounds pretty weird. at my school, there was no difference between years 9 and 10. maybe the whole 'fill out a misadventure form!' rule was enforced a tiny bit more strictly, but yeah, it had nothing on going from year 10 to year 11.

Last edited:

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
magpam said:
i found the transition from years 9 to 10 greater that 10 to 11. iono i think its just because of my school. they have a policy where there are no exams (no half yearlies/ yearlies) ever as well as no assessments until year 10 which is a bust cause by year 10 the cram you with a lot of assessments and you just have to learn to cope.
WOW u serious??
we had assessments since yr 7 :mad:

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
man....if i'd known bout ur school i would've gone to ur school for years 7-10
(i luv my new school)

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
DAMN.........
i take it back....

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
Runescape you mean? I lost interest in the game after 10 minutes, lol.

Actually, I wanna sell my unused copy of WOW. I just don't have the courage to even start the game after hearing stories of how it ruins people's life...

Year 10 was slightly harder than Year 10, there were just more assessments and that you are always reminded how important SC is, that's all. Even though you might hear how unimportant the SC is, it is still a good idea to put some effort especially into the English/Science/Maths exams. School teachers will always look at how you perform in the tests to determine if you are capable of doing certain courses etc.

HSC
N/A
Consider your workload and timetable, however hypothetical it may be at the moment; then make a decision.
I think 14U's may be a tad excessive, but there are plenty of people who can handle them all.
jemsta said:
Youll start prelim next year, so just see how it goes first. If you can handle it then by all means continue with 14 units, but if not then 12 units is still pretty good since you still have that safety net of 2 units.
Agreed.

dwarven said:
btw anyone play rs??
On-topic much?
Keep it on-topic please.
cs01001 said:
Year 10 was slightly harder than Year 10
Paradox, Jase?;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)