Would Mcdonalds have a geocentric or polycentric staffing system? (1 Viewer)

username

HSC
I said thir organisational structure is geographic which adopts a polycentric staffing system. Would this be correct because in their Equal opportunity policy they say that they employ the best person for the job regardless of nationality etc, hence it would be polycentric?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
not quite. when its talking about nationality its not saying "we will only employ XXX". it means since maccas is an american company, they dont only import employees from america to work in australia. they employ people from the country its located, in this case australia.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
ive forgotton the difference between them. its the one where they employ people from the operating country (australia) rather than getting people from the country its based in (america).

username

HSC
Polycentric focusses on getting the best person for the job regardless of nationality, and this is stated in their eeo policy. Geocentric on the other hand is staffing overseas subsidiaries with host country personnel.

Uncouth

HSC
N/A
username said:
Polycentric focusses on getting the best person for the job regardless of nationality, and this is stated in their eeo policy. Geocentric on the other hand is staffing overseas subsidiaries with host country personnel.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought geocentric gets the best people for the job, while polycentric is with the host country personnel...

username

HSC
Not according to the text book. Ill right out the exact def.

Geocentric staffing is growing in popularity, and involves staffing overseas subsidiaries with host country personnel.

Polycentric staffing is one where the most capable person for the job is placed in that position, regardless of nationality.

Anyway regardless of all this, can someone answer my q yet?

Abide

Wie gehts?
HSC
N/A
hey... that's strange. :) my textbook says
Polycentric staffing
A staffing policy in an MNE in which host-country nationals are recruited to manage subsidiaries in their own country, while parent-country nationals occupy key positions at corporate headquarters.
Geocentric staffing
A staffing policy where the best people are sought for key jobs throughout an MNE, regardless of nationality.
but what I would say is that it is geocentric or your polycentric hehe.. (edit: note that it's not strictly geocentric..)

Last edited:

username

HSC
Yer my teacher said different books have diff def for some reason, but apparently my one is right. Its from the nelson business boolk.

DVIOUS

sorry username but ur wrong
geocentric: the best person for the job regardless of their nationality
polycentric: host country nationals

but in macdonalds case they use geocentic for top level management and they use polycentric staffing for employees as they know the local area

username

HSC
DVIOUS the book says exactly what i wrote out, so unless the books wrong im right. Where did you get your definition from>

DVIOUS

username said:
DVIOUS the book says exactly what i wrote out, so unless the books wrong im right. Where did you get your definition from>
i got my definition from my business text book and 10 other text books. so ur book is wrong therefore ur wrong!!! (Every1 disagrees wif u)

username

HSC
Unless your 10 textbooks are wrong. What makes you right and me wrong. Its a matter of opinon.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
username, something you need to accept is that whilst textbooks are right the majority of the time, they sometimes get it wrong (even textbooks written for undergrad students *cough* raven + johnson *cough*).
if you're book is going against the general consensus, it is more likely it will be wrong than it is that all the others would be wrong

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
and axl rose is an anagram for oral sex...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)