would my classmates' marks affect mine?? (1 Viewer)

leapordfist

HSC
from what i understand, your internal mark is extreamly important. for example, if you get a rank of 3 internally, in the hsc exam, you will get the 3d highest score from your class. so if u can maintain a high rank in the internal assesments, i rekon its important.

but at the end of the day, its pretty much hard grueling work....nothing more, nothing less

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
from what i understand, your internal mark is extreamly important. for example, if you get a rank of 3 internally, in the hsc exam, you will get the 3d highest score from your class. so if u can maintain a high rank in the internal assesments, i rekon its important.

but at the end of the day, its pretty much hard grueling work....nothing more, nothing less
no

yz125

HSC
Could you please explain the process then tommykins

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
There's like 1320482397492387980 threads about it, but I'll summarise as best as possible.

Say theres a class of 5 students - A B C D E

They do their internal assessments, the school submits their RAW internal marks to BOS. Let's say they ranked A,B,C,D,E respectively.

They do their HSC - results are as follows -

A - 87
B - 85
C - 90
D - 77
E - 98

As A comes first internally, he/she is designated the highest external mark for their internal mark. Hence, A gets 98 (it's not stealing, they deserve it as they did come first internally, the external exam measures the 'potential' of the cohort). I'm not sure whether the last person (E) gets designated the lowest external mark, but what they do is collect all the marks from the external HSC (of course after giving A his internal) and distribute the mark ACCORDING TO THE MARK GAPS BETWEEN EACH RANK. This is to cater to people who come first by 20% and what not.

You ALWAYS ALWAYS keep your external mark as your external mark, this does NOT change. Your EXTERNAL marks determine your INTERNAL mark - the lower you are, the more you rely on those ranked above you.

runnable

HSC
1st ranked gets the top mark, last ranked gets the bottom mark, everyone else gets distributed based on their gaps between ranks.

shady145

Banned
HSC
if he/she has a valid reason and proof accepted by BOS his/her mark will be estimated from the other 2's performance... if he/she has no reason or valid proof he/she will recieve 0 for external, depending on how the other 2 go he/she will get some sort of internal mark based on that...

youngminii

Banned
HSC
ah k righto...get it now...so the internal rank gaps have an influence, but they do not solely determine the gaps between the final assessment marks...(i think)
They're pretty damn important

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
what would happen if there's a class of 3 and one person doesn't show up for the HSC exam (this person is coming first on assessment ranking)?
if he/she has a valid reason and proof accepted by BOS his/her mark will be estimated from the other 2's performance... if he/she has no reason or valid proof he/she will recieve 0 for external, depending on how the other 2 go he/she will get some sort of internal mark based on that...
Estimate mark based on other two people
This is almost correct.

If the person who misses the exam was ranked first on assessments, only the top exam mark is used to estimate their (missing) examination mark.

Assume students A, B and C have school assessment marks of 80, 75 and 70.

On the day of the exam, student A is very ill and misses the exam, and students B and C achieve examination marks of 90 and 85.

Student A successfully applies to the Board for special consideration on the basis of their illness.

The first step is to determine the moderated assessment marks for the group but excluding students without an examination mark. So only B and C are considered.

In this very simple example, B's moderated assessment mark will be 90 and C's moderated assessment mark will be 85, just like their examination marks.

The second step is to insert any excluded students back into the moderating group according to their rank and the relative differences between students.

So student A will be inserted into the moderating group in first place somewhere above student B.

Remember that A, B and C had school assessment marks of 80, 75 and 70.

Student A had a mark of 80, which is 20% of the way between student B's mark of 75 and the top mark of 100.

Now, student B has a moderated assessment mark of 90. So, student A will be inserted above student B at the point which gives student A a moderated assessment mark that is 20% of the way between student B's mark of 90 and the top mark of 100.

Student A is given a moderated assessment mark of 92.

It is common for this assessment mark to then be used as an estimate of student A's examination mark.

The final examination marks are 92, 90 and 85, and the final moderated assessment marks are 92, 90 and 85.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
say the majority of the class is failing
would this affect my final mark??
i.e. make my marks lower or something
If you're coming 1st and you're the outlier, then you really shouldn't be affected. If you're failing along with others, but everyone suddenly improves to 90 externally, then it's moderated up. If you're failing along with others, and everyone else still did shit, then gg kthxbai ATAR.

Last edited:

greenie1113

Bone Saw is ready
HSC
lol
ohk cool
thanks everyone!! i understand how it works now lol
i think its kinda stupid though but oh well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)