• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

would you go to...... (2 Viewers)

what uni would you got to? and why?

• UNSW

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Sydney uni

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • UTS

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • UWS

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 25 33.8%

• Total voters

pri

HSC
N/A
do well in the course and no one will care where u go

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah good point though I think I'd prefer to be somewhere more modern and 'young' feeling than somewhere that resembled my grandmothers house

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by FunkyFlava
I'm heading for UTS or UNSW. Yeh, USyd might be all prestige and that, but my friends have told me that it just looks too goth and old with ugly interiors ... which might affect my studies lol. :p

I prefer a more modern environment as that's what I feel, imo, prestige and style is.

oh no :rolleyes: i'm getting sucked into the prestige/private/public/snobby blah blah debate now.
UNSW has a very ugly interior too if you managed to see their lecture theatres. Both UNSW and Usyd have very similar courses of equal reputation, but I think that Sydney definitely has the better environment, which for me is very important.

UNSW seems modern but inside it isn't. It is also very cramped, claustorophobic

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I dont know if all the lecture halls at unsw are like the one I went to, but it had the most uncomfortable seats. It was just a long peice of plastic fabric stretched across the entire row of seats. I think Im going to have to bring a cushion to sit on this year. :p

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by mannnnndy
I dont know if all the lecture halls at unsw are like the one I went to, but it had the most uncomfortable seats. It was just a long peice of plastic fabric stretched across the entire row of seats. I think Im going to have to bring a cushion to sit on this year. :p
Yeah I reckon, did you go to the CLB lecture halls? they had the worst seats and the theatre hall was so un-modern.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i hear that in some lectures in usyd and unsw, if you get there on time, you still end up sitting in the aisles ... not a problem at macq though, you get there an hour late and there'll still be seats (hum ... is that good thing) ...:)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
i hear that in some lectures in usyd and unsw, if you get there on time, you still end up sitting in the aisles ... not a problem at macq though, you get there an hour late and there'll still be seats (hum ... is that good thing) ...:)
maybe not lol. I only heard about the overcrowding problem with UNSW, I don't recall it being the case with Usyd.

The reason I didn't go to Macquaire is because if you ever want to transfer and go to UNSW or USyd it is very hard, but if you go from UNSW or Usyd to macquarie it is much easier.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

maybe not lol. I only heard about the overcrowding problem with UNSW, I don't recall it being the case with Usyd.

The reason I didn't go to Macquaire is because if you ever want to transfer and go to UNSW or USyd it is very hard, but if you go from UNSW or Usyd to macquarie it is much easier.
yeah ... its probably true ... but you never know (especially in popular courses like commerce) ... i never thought i wouldnt want to go to usyd or unsw before ... but because of location (each being at least an hour travel just getting there), it was out of the option ... furthermore, there are just too many asians at unsw ... but i guess usyd is nice - purely on the grounds of the sandstone buildings ... and also acturial is highly respected at macq ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

yeah ... its probably true ... but you never know (especially in popular courses like commerce) ... i never thought i wouldnt want to go to usyd or unsw before ... but because of location (each being at least an hour travel just getting there), it was out of the option ... furthermore, there are just too many asians at unsw ... but i guess usyd is nice - purely on the grounds of the sandstone buildings ... and also acturial is highly respected at macq ...
yeah actuarials is all macq is really good for. I agree I went to UNSW and about 60% were asians.

I was going to do actuarials but decided against it, too many ppl doing it, plus Sydney which offers adv maths allows you to be an actuary anyway (even though they don't offer the course directly) once you complete the course. Besides other things such as econometrics is very similar to actuarial studies.

Both UNSW and Usyd had the courser i wanted (except UNSW had the extra actuarial studies on offer) but for me it came down to environment and how I felt at both Uni's, which is why I chose Usyd.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

yeah actuarials is all macq is really good for. I agree I went to UNSW and about 60% were asians.

I was going to do actuarials but decided against it, too many ppl doing it, plus Sydney which offers adv maths allows you to be an actuary anyway (even though they don't offer the course directly) once you complete the course. Besides other things such as econometrics is very similar to actuarial studies.

Both UNSW and Usyd had the courser i wanted (except UNSW had the extra actuarial studies on offer) but for me it came down to environment and how I felt at both Uni's, which is why I chose Usyd.
how does advance maths allow you to become an actuary?

although i have a really bad feeling macq isnt going to allow me do have a com (actuarial) / sci (adv maths) ... ill probably end up doing all the advanced maths units and they'll say ... no, you get - maths only ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

how does advance maths allow you to become an actuary?

although i have a really bad feeling macq isnt going to allow me do have a com (actuarial) / sci (adv maths) ... ill probably end up doing all the advanced maths units and they'll say ... no, you get - maths only ...
I spoke to the dean of maths at Usyd and that is what he said, essentially you have the mathematical foundations to do actuarial studies (although you would have to take on an extra year or so to fully qualify as an actuary). On one of their handouts, for possible careers having done the adv maths program, an actuary was one of the many listed.

Sydney is pretty flexible in the majors you can choose from (even more than macquarie even though they reckon they are more flexible).And the commerce I'm doing will be mainly finance, econometrics complimented with majors in maths and statistics under adv maths/

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

Sydney is pretty flexible in the majors you can choose from (even more than macquarie even though they reckon they are more flexible).And the commerce I'm doing will be mainly finance, econometrics complimented with majors in maths and statistics under adv maths/
i changed my maths, as double, to stat for a day ... then i changed it back ... because there was just too much computing ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

i changed my maths, as double, to stat for a day ... then i changed it back ... because there was just too much computing ...
Yeah that's the prob with statistics, I don't like too much computing, but I really like maths so a maths major was the one for me.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
actually i found stats far more interesting than maths ... so much so ... until i found out i had to use the computer ...

and also stat was better respected than maths at macq ... and at macq, the maths talk made me fall asleep until the guy started talking about cds and mp3 encoding ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
actually i found stats far more interesting than maths ... so much so ... until i found out i had to use the computer ...

and also stat was better respected than maths at macq ... and at macq, the maths talk made me fall asleep until the guy started talking about cds and mp3 encoding ...
maths and stats is about the same at Usyd, but I guess stats can be interesting, depends on what you are studying though

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

maths and stats is about the same at Usyd, but I guess stats can be interesting, depends on what you are studying though
so what units (types) are you planning to study for your science degree ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

so what units (types) are you planning to study for your science degree ...
mathematics and statistics under the B science (adv maths) part of the douhle defree. Although if I want I can also major in physics, chem, and other sicence areas (but I don't think I would).

Under mathematics and statistics I am getting around to deciding what units I wil study cause I haven't managed to read all the info yet.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

mathematics and statistics under the B science (adv maths) part of the douhle defree. Although if I want I can also major in physics, chem, and other sicence areas (but I don't think I would).

Under mathematics and statistics I am getting around to deciding what units I wil study cause I haven't managed to read all the info yet.
with my double ... i basically will have no electives ... but i like both of my majors so its all good ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

with my double ... i basically will have no electives ... but i like both of my majors so its all good ...
Yeah thats the prob with macq, the majors you do are actually the course itself. But if you like both the majoors then there's no problem.

mannnnndy

chocoholic

Yeah I reckon, did you go to the CLB lecture halls? they had the worst seats and the theatre hall was so un-modern.
yeah it was the CLB halls, do you know if there are better halls at unsw?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)