Would you reccommend extension? (1 Viewer)

Would you reccommend picking up ext?

• Yes

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Only if you're a good writer

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Do yourself a favour and stay the hell away

Votes: 13 19.1%

• Total voters

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Would you recommend extension?

I'm considering dropping ancient at the end of the year, but since that'll only leave me with 6 units next year (10 units all up) I'm thinking I might pick up extension for modern, but I don't like anyone I know who's doing it this year, so I thought I'd ask here instead. : ) I'm a decent writer and I really love modern, so... comment here.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hmm. i personaly love extension to bits. i say u should pick it up cos u can drop it any time u want so you've got nothing to lose.

im doing modern and extension but they arent inter linked in any way so i chose a modern topic for my individual project.

if your good at writing and able to articuate your ideas well then its just a mtter of learning the historiography and away you go! some ppl take the course as a bludge but then it ends up being more work cos they have to learn to write properly AND learn the historiography and case study.

just pick it and give it a try, and drop it if u dont like it. except u cant cos u have 10u. hmmmm. well im doing 10u at the moment and thats not so bad.less pressure but keep ot for a back up if u like it by all means

btw glycerine, i always thought of u as a current hsc student...weird

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I'm doing4u english this year, so I kind of am :) but technically I'm in yr 11. thanks for the advice : )

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
it's good in that you get to choose exactly what aspect of history you're going to focus on. and you've done 4unit english so you won't have any problems with the major work (which isn't even that long).
generally, i would advise people not to take it up. it's just too much work for 1-unit. but if you have the time, then you may as well...

baxter

Little Miss
HSC
as the poll says at the top
"Do yourself a favour and stay right away"

seems like most people agreed with me here too

hahah

even if u have a topic ur really interested in it's still the organisation, and if you do badly, you'll really do badly as the markers give a HUGE ranger in marks.

but - if you think YOU"RE DIFFERENT (as most people doing ext history did - becuase lets face it, we were all given the same "stay right away" warning) then be my guest.

and good luck too ;)
you'll need it

<<lauren>>

if possible, find out who your teacher will be and what your case study will be. my teacher is fantastic, and we're doing a case study which interests me - jesus christ - but im still having trouble with the work, the workload (its one of *those* extension subjects) and motivation (difficult to find at the end of a long day...our teacher fuels us on caffeine). if you have the time (have you done 4u this year to get it out of the way or because youre working part time next year?) definitely go for it, if only for the associated status...;)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
u didnt vote did u santaslayer? cos i voted for "only if ur a good writer" and the poll has stayed the same :p

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by <<lauren>>
if possible, find out who your teacher will be and what your case study will be. my teacher is fantastic, and we're doing a case study which interests me - jesus christ - but im still having trouble with the work, the workload (its one of *those* extension subjects) and motivation (difficult to find at the end of a long day...our teacher fuels us on caffeine). if you have the time (have you done 4u this year to get it out of the way or because youre working part time next year?) definitely go for it, if only for the associated status...;)
I think I could probably say I was used to one of *those* extension subjects after 4u english, hopefully :) I'm doing it because... um... they offered to accelerate me straight into yr 11 english at the end of year 9, so I took the opportunity

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
If you are good at writing and you are really interested in history, I say go for it :). You can always drop it later if you find you don't like it that much.

Plebeian

I'd say being a good reader is just as important as being a good writer - to get to grips with the wide range of opinions on history, there is a lot to read. I'd imagine that if you love modern you wouldn't mind reading though.

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
yeah, i'd recommend it fo' sheezy

i voted for 'only if you're a good writer', simply because i'm prejudiced against poor writers who lack flair.

Demandred

HSC
Only if you can easily decipher pages and pages of encoding by the historians and professors.

If your not really good at english, I can't recommend this for you.

Jennibeans

HSC
its up to you. I say talk to your history teachers now and see what they think. i did modern in yr 11 and my teacher really pushed me to do extension in yr 12. its not a bludge subject it is a lot of work & a lot of reading. you do have pretty good english skills obviously and that will help you but remember extension history isnt related to modern history or ancient history its about historiography and which ever case study you do. theres also a major project involved.
as people have said you can drop it any time you want so maybe its worth checking it out

Aussiechick

HSC
I wouldn't recommend it. The workload is too much for me. Actually, it's not so bad, I think the problem is I'm trying to tackle 4U english and Hist Ext in the same year. 2 major works = a lot of work. plus there's a hell of a lot of reading in history extension. Though, if you're doing English this year, then I'd say go for history extension next year, because English is the subject that takes up the most time, and takes away time you could be spending on Hist Ext.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
actually, i dropped 4u eng cos it was just too much but i wouldnt blame it on ext hist though

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i have no idea if this is actually true or not, or whether ive just forgotten how bad it was... but in my mind, extension history wasnt THAT bad...

the major assignment wasnt bad... no where near as stressful as the 4unit major work...

although all those shitty little case studies, and historians, etc.... hmm, they pissed me off.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
well, my modern teacher seems overenthused about my abilities in the subject i think :p but honestly I don't think I'll have any problems in terms of *skill*, motivation is what's lacking in my life, I've decided to pick it up though for 3 main reasons:

1) I like history
2) I'd still only be doing like 7U anyhow
3) It's probably better to pick it up, and then, if I'm really unhappy with it, I can always drop it later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)