Wouldn't doing easy subjects and getting high marks in them be better than doing harder ones (1 Viewer)

Jigmey

HSC
Would it be more beneficial to do easy subjects and get high marks rather than hard ones so you can get a high atar?

Accurate

clix
HSC
If you do that then you gotta worry about getting scaled down, meaning ur priority is to smash each and every one of those subjects. You have to get 90s throughout the whole year otherwise ur screwed

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
even if let’s say you personally get a higher atar doing easier subjects, that shouldnt just be the end point of doing harder subjects. You need to balance the ATAR with actually what degree you want to do. There’s no point doing easy subjects and getting a certain atar and then once you get to uni that your degree options are limited because you did easy subjects and don’t have the required prerequisite knowledge to do that degree you wanted to do

Last edited:

Jigmey

HSC
My current subject choices are
Eng Std
Maths Adv
Modern history
Legal studies
Business stud
I choose these subjects because I am interested in them but they scale pretty low

Last edited:

Bob Jane

HSC
you should tell us what are you planning on studying? For example, civil engineering would warrant physics + MX1

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
What degree are you aiming to do? You should choose subjects based on that goal

Jigmey

HSC
I plan to do business or economics,
Modern history and economics were on the same subject line, Wanting to do history extension in yr 12 I choose Modern history and decided to add business studies

Accurate

clix
HSC
Bro u didnt pick low scaling ones, i thought you were gonna say stuff like cafs and sac, but looking at ur selection it seems fine

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There's merit to both approaches, if you do poorly then picking a high scaling subject is irrelevant. Picking subjects to your strengths should ensure you perform well, but in some scenarios those subjects just may scale poorly. For most people, I don't think the scaling of a subject is going to be a limiting factor however.

As Accurate has said, your subjects are more average-good scaling ones rather than "low" scaling ones and so I wouldn't worry too much.

I'd definitely recommend Adv English over Standard however, if you check stats on the band breakdowns standard, almost no one gets band 6s in standard and it's much harder to get band 5s. The difficulty difference wouldn't be too much, and (at a school offering both, as many private/selective schools don't offer standard) your class will have more engaged students and teachers. Even if it was much harder or dificult, i think it's be worthwhile due to the synergy with the writing you'll have to be doing in your humanities subjects.

Last edited:

Jigmey

HSC
Thx for the helpful responses, I've just altered my subject choices slightly to bet suit my interests and ability
My new choices are
Eng Std
Maths Adv
Ancient History
Legal studies
Economics
Software Design

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)