Write OR Type notes? Which is better? (1 Viewer)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
using an ocr program providied by a scanner comes in handly
transfer handwritten notes into printed writing

GJ_JOE

blood brother
i remember someone on this board recorded all their notes and listened to them again and again....sounds like a great idea to me, i'm gonna give it a go in uni

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Asquithian
I wrote 95% of my notes out last year...

I get too frustrated when i type....not that im slow...i can type reasonably quickly... just that...i hate going back and fixing things...all those damn typos

But i just prefer to handwrite...I like my handwriting...i think its looks nicer than typed...

Hand written things are just more personal...

But i used to colour code things in my notes with different colour pens...

But typing for me was slower than writing...maybe i just had fast handwriting...plus its good practice for the real thing...plus handwriting is just so nice...i enjoy it...

:rolleyes:

However all my assessments were written on the computer...like i never wrote an essay for an assessment by hand...i prefer to use the computer because i can go back and check the spelling...and what not...change sentecne structure etc.
That's kinda wat I did

I wrote ALL my notes by hand, and did assessments on computer
The reason for this was that, it comes back quicker to me, if I had it on paper...not to mention the thousands of pages I went thru wen I was speed writing in order to memorise english essays (I think I spent about 4 hours non-stop writing and re-writing my Change essay the day before the Area of study exam)
I agree with asquith boy that written notes are more personal

timmii

sporadic attendee
I prefer written notes (if if make notes - didn't always happen), which is interesting because i type practically everything else up. I found the actual process of writing the notes facilitated the absorption of the information, more so than typing which i can do at a rapid pace without thinking. I also needed to highlight if i was reading anything, makes me connect with the info.
E.g started panicking before eco exam, decide to re-read entire textbook. Bored about 4 pages in. Decide to deface book with highlighting. Proceeded to use up 4 highlighters, but read entire text, and proudly, remembered most of it :)

I also had to use colours when making my notes. I went through about 2 packs of textas and 1 pack of those 8colour highlighter sets for trials/hsc notes. I found colours make me remember. Even now i can visualise what colour i had written certain pieces of information, and hence recall the info. Listening to music also helps - i associate certain songs with certain bits of information {as well as 6 degrees of separation stories....}

Good luck.

P.s figure out ur learning style. Some people are visual, colours etc..some are aural, some need to speak it out loud. Others need mindmaps or draw diagrams. The quicker u figure it out, the more effective and easier ur studying will be.

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by GJ_JOE
i remember someone on this board recorded all their notes and listened to them again and again....sounds like a great idea to me, i'm gonna give it a go in uni
Yea i did that, it works really well. excellent for cramming before an exam too - u just stick your earphones in and u don't get caught up in everyone elses stress attacks etc etc

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
hmmm after reading through this thread I realise that I am the only one who didn't do any summaries for any of my subjects.

I simply read the textbooks over and over till it sunk in and then did practive problems. practice problems were more efficient than writing straight summaries which I tried but they simply took forever, ended uip repeating the textbooks, and i figured they were clogging and wasting my time

Also for phys and chem I couldn't be bothered writing out notes for each dot point...too time consuming. Besides the BOS only ends up testing an eight or so of that content for the actual exam.

I just read each dot point mentally came up with an answer having read the textbook beforehand.

Everyone has their own study methods, I guess I'm just different. :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
no notes ... or notebooks ... or formula sheets ... for mathematics ... just walk in an hope its all in your head ...

same for english (but after memorising a pre-written essay) ... :D

GJ_JOE

blood brother
Originally posted by Ultimate
Everyone has their own study methods, I guess I'm just different. :D
definately, i forget what every sentence said about 2 seconds after reading it! i guess thats why mindmaps worked best for me

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Another good idea is flash cards. They were probably the thing that worked best for me...but of course, you can only use them for certain things.
Like in biology-I was trying to learn all the names of the parts of the eye and ear and what they did, so I wrote the name of each part on one side of some paper, then a description of what it did on the other side, and went through them til I knew each description without having to look. I learned them really fast that way. :D

Last edited:

Fi

Originally posted by GJ_JOE
i tried that......................didn't work too well, i just fell asleep:sleep:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)