Writing an essay when asked to compose an interview/feature article (1 Viewer)

o_0

HSC
i heard one of the english teachers say that a few years back when they asked for an interview, 95% of the state ignored it and just wrote an essay..

how much damage could ignoring the specific text type they ask for do?

D94

HSC
N/A
Isn't it obvious that doing an interview will get you closer to maximum marks than writing an essay, which would get you closer to zero? You wouldn't get anywhere close to a good mark if you did a good essay over someone else who did an ordinary interview, because the interview was what they required.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
i heard one of the english teachers say that a few years back when they asked for an interview, 95% of the state ignored it and just wrote an essay..

if 95% of the state did an essay, then surely they would of accepted it, otherwise most people would of failed that section. It's the same with maths, If only 5% can do qs 10, then I think they remove it from affecting the average.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I would think that Mod B this year could be feature article.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
99% they are all going to be essays. Like it's been for past 15 years.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
A different text type has not been asked in the HSC as far as I've known. In my opinion, if you wrote a different text type to that requested, you would automatically drop down from a A-range response, and as a result, you would be capped at a 16/20. And that essay better be of exemplar standard (ie, a 20/20 essay). As a result, any normal person would probably get 14-15 max.

o_0

HSC
A different text type has not been asked in the HSC as far as I've known. In my opinion, if you wrote a different text type to that requested, you would automatically drop down from a A-range response, and as a result, you would be capped at a 16/20. And that essay better be of exemplar standard (ie, a 20/20 essay). As a result, any normal person would probably get 14-15 max.
my older sister warned me that 2011 was the year they were going to completely mess us over, so that for 2012 onwards everyone would be severely discouraged from memorising generic responses .. :/

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
my older sister warned me that 2011 was the year they were going to completely mess us over, so that for 2012 onwards everyone would be severely discouraged from memorising generic responses .. :/
And what source did your sister have?

Alkanes

HSC
Hope it's not just some interview or diary entry bullshit for me next year :/

D94

HSC
N/A
99% they are all going to be essays. Like it's been for past 15 years.
Clearly not.

2001: essay, discussion and speech
2002: essay, letter, feature article, conversation
2003: essay, speech, article
2004: essay, presentation

Maybe for the past 5 years they have been essays and the narrative, but they can certainly ask for something else.

MadGold777

HSC
Trolling?

I've also got a feeling they may ask for two related texts for module C in Standard! (Bit of a pattern going on...)

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
A different text type has not been asked in the HSC as far as I've known.
Mod B Questions:
2002: Two people who value your prescribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a conversation.
Compose their conversation which should include consideration of the structure, language and ideas of the text.

2001: Two readers are arguing about the ending of the prescribed text you have studied.
Compose their discussion. The discussion should demonstrate your critical understanding of the prescribed text.

And yeah, our teachers have been warning us about this too. They started rumours that they would do it for our trials, even though they didn't.

Last edited:

yours

HSC
enough speculation. Is it that hard to write a practice in a separate form? If you can be bothered memorising so many essays it shouldn't be an unbelievable effort to write a speech or two. Besides, the analysis is going to be exactly the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)