Writing Competition (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Writing Competition

$15,000 REWARD: For Macquarie writers

By Steven Schwartz, Vice-Chancellor
Have you something to say on issues of public or personal importance? Can you write in a clear and persuasive way? Then here is your chance to express yourself and win a substantial prize by entering the Macquarie University Vice-Chancellor’s Writing Competition.
The competition is open to all Macquarie University staff and students. No-one is left out. If you are a member of the academic staff or the professional staff, if you are full-time, part-time, or casual - even if you are a contractor, you are eligible.
If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate of the University, full-time or part-time, you are also eligible.
There is also a special category for students, undergraduate and postgraduate, whose first language is not English.
I encourage you all to submit an essay into this competition. The topic – What mattered then, what matters now – provides plenty of opportunity for good writing, for using your imagination and your critical and analytical skills. Email your essay and entry from to write@vc.mq.edu.au by 5pm on July 21, 2008.
Please read the terms and conditions posted under the “rules” link on this website before entering your essay.
There are some great prizes on offer – worth about $15,000 in total.
See here.

Anyone thinking of entering?

X

xeuyrawp

I will - after the end of semester and before the beginning, so no dramas. Got an idea?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What mattered then, what matters now: An essay on F. ARTS

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Oh, I'll win with my excellent linguistic skills *lie detector goes BOOM!*

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
$15,000 in TOTAL... so gonna be like 15 small prizes of $1,000... well, money is still money...

p__D

X

xeuyrawp

P_Dilemma said:
$15,000 in TOTAL... so gonna be like 15 small prizes of $1,000... well, money is still money...

p__D
If you had bothered to actually look at the link:

• For Undergraduates:
    • $3000 first prize donated by Unicom
    • $1040 in food vouchers from U@MQ
    • $500 of books donated by the Coop Bookshop
  • For Postgraduates:
    • $3000 first prize donated by CRI
    • $1500 second prize donated by Campus Living Villages
    • $500 of books from the Coop Bookshop
  • For Staff:
    • $3000 first prize donated by NAB Education
    • $1500 second prize donated by SIBT
    • $500 worth of books donated by the Coop Bookshop
  • For students whose first language is not English:
    • Two $1500 prizes donated by Macquarie International

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For students whose first language is not English:

* Two $1500 prizes donated by Macquarie International

lol, I should apply for that!

X

xeuyrawp

Hahaha. Whose first language is not English, not was not English.

Nice try, though. :p

I can just imagine you getting in a fight with someone... I'll be strolling past the entrance to W6A. There will be four or five security guards pulling you out of the. building while you scream 'I'm Asian! I'm ASIAN! Where's my prize?!'. Never to be seen again... :(

I'll agree with you, though, that the wording is dubious. Generally, wording's something like whose primary language isn't English.

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I can just imagine you getting in a fight with someone... I'll be strolling past the entrance to W6A. There will be four or five security guards pulling you out of the. building while you scream 'I'm Asian! I'm ASIAN! Where's my prize?!'
Ok. That is officially the funniest thing I've heard all day. :D

HSC
Re: vice chance's writing comp

am Considerrringggg

Im 'guessing' that there hasnt been much applications, since there's been a total of 3 reminders for the comp already.

X

xeuyrawp

Re: vice chance's writing comp

miss-smexy said:
So who's entering this?
Merged because you missed it on the bottom of the first page. :p

X

xeuyrawp

Bump. Got a week from now.

So who's writing, hmm? I'm starting tomorrow in my spare time of cleaning/painting/reorganising my study. :eek:

X

xeuyrawp

miss-smexy said:
meeeeeeee

do you rekn they will NOT like it if you're significantly under the word limit? e.g. by 800 words? =/

by word limit, do u think they mean they want around that much?
It should be however long you think is appropriate.

hannahxxx

HSC
miss-smexy said:
meeeeeeee

do you rekn they will NOT like it if you're significantly under the word limit? e.g. by 800 words? =/

by word limit, do u think they mean they want around that much?
Better to enter than not at all. Though you've gotta admit that even if that 1200 words is awesome, there might be someone whose quality of writing is just as good but they do 2000 words. The main part is entering though I guess

X

xeuyrawp

Ooh, forgot to ask. Who ended up submitting something?

Mine was pretty shit and waffley in the end.

HSC
N/A
I really wanted to, but just didn't have the time this year. Looking forward to next year though - they will repeat this, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)