• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

writing in contemporary cultures (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
what's wrong with it?

i've sort of read what people say is wrong with it, but are these just first year problems or stuff that would extend the length of yr degree?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah, i would say having no real career outcome would extend for the entire legnth of your degree.

what is it exactly that you want to do? like do you want to be a journalist, or work in publishing, or what..?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i'm actually not sure. i think i might want to do law but that might just be a "sounds good" thing... hence wanting to go combined.

i've actually been thinking about going into editing type work. like i sometimes read and edit friend's essays for fun so it might actually be something i would want to go into. not sure if i want to do it in the editing novels etc sense or going into magazine or newspaper work tho.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah i have, but the thing is, i hate kids. like teaching yr 11 and 12 would be ok but i hate 12-15 year olds so much. i dunno, if i don't study harder teaching may be the only thing i can get into. :p

i do legal studies yeah, i've heard it doesn't really help much with actually doing law tho

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
are you good at it? like are you doing reasonably well.??

i think you should definitely consider high school teaching. it's ALRIGHT pay which will probably get better with time, and the holidays and hours are fantastic. isnt your mum an english teacher? im sure you're suited to that.

basically, my point is, if youve got career ambitions that can fit into any degree outside of UTS communications, do something else. if what you really really want is to be a journalist, fair enough. but if you want to work in publishing... go do arts at sydney and major in english. if you want to do law, do it on its OWN at uts. just trust me erin.... you and i seem alike in terms of our skills and approach to study, you DONT want to go there

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah, i fucked around in yr 11 and failed it but now that i've been putting some degree of effort into it i've been getting full marks in everything so i think i should do reasonably well in the end. you did basically the same subjects as me right? i do 4u english, ancient, modern, legal + extension history (altho i'm very tempted to drop).

i'll definitely think about this then. my issue with sydney is that i've heard it's very stagnant, very stodgy and traditional and that's the impression i got on open day etc. i still have like 6 months to put in my initial preferences anyway so it's not urgent. i wish i'd done more with my work experience in yr 10 rather than just going anywhere close to get a week off school tho.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i did 4 u english, modern, ancient, and society & culture. i had the EXACT same reaction to sydney on open day, i was horrified and i didnt have ANY preferences on syd for my first time around. however i guess now ive realised, while it prolly is to some extent quite 'traditional', it has got the reputation that you need if you want to be employed somewhere decent... no one can really deny that, of course grades and other things come into play but sydney has the name. and i know for me, its given me a lot more freedom of choice doing a broader degree which will still probably give me a better shot at a real job.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
spin spin speaks the truth. only do it if youre sure you want to, not cause it sounds like it could be interesting.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Don't have a negetive view of it before you even start.... you can't judge it until you have been there at least a semester.

somechick

HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
Don't have a negetive view of it before you even start.... you can't judge it until you have been there at least a semester.
okies thanks ash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)