Writing into Dot Point books? (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Does anybody write directly into their Dot Point (physics or chemistry) book or do you just write your answers elsewhere?

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Why would you write into any textbook? It could be re used and you're just wasting it.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Why would you write into any textbook? It could be re used and you're just wasting it.
You do relise , that his not talking about the actual school books :sleep:

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
What do you mean?
Nearly 95%+ of Nsw schools do not give out their books , except for mathematics , and you still need to return it at the end of the year.

So what people do , is buy their own text books. Me being one of them ;)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
The Dot Point books give you lots of space to write answers in it. But I don't feel like writing into it because it's all new and shiny. :D

bored of sc

HSC
osamaelias said:
Nearly 95%+ of Nsw schools do not give out their books , except for mathematics , and you still need to return it at the end of the year.

haha, our school in the minority then :)

bored of sc

HSC
foram said:
The Dot Point books give you lots of space to write answers in it. But I don't feel like writing into it because it's all new and shiny. :D
a couple of people at our school have those books and write in them - you should write in them: that's why they are designed in such a way

Aplus

HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:

I buy my textbooks. When I'm done I can lend the books to my younger relatives.

HSC
I write in mine. I've also torn all the pages out and put it in a folder to make it easier to use (it's pretty hefty).

Aplus

HSC
N/A
But you paid good money for it. Don't you want to share it with other years once you finish? It could be re used again and again and shared around.

bored of sc

HSC
I'm a little confused - if you buy your textbooks then wouldn't everyone have different textbooks in your classes thus meaning the teacher cannot set work out of the textbook. :uhoh:

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Dot point books were made so taht you could write in them and make a summary of the stuff you need to know. I personally write in pencil so when exams come round, i can rub them out and do the questions again.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
I'm a little confused - if you buy your textbooks then wouldn't everyone have different textbooks in your classes thus meaning the teacher cannot set work out of the textbook. :uhoh:
We don't learn from the textbook. We were given textbooks at the start of the year but we don't use them. They are supplementary resources. We never use the textbook except for Maths.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
Source of statistic?

Not every subject at every school will 'lend' a textbook to a student, but I'd have to say I disagree with that statistic - more than 5% of NSW schools give students a 'loan' of textbooks for the year for subjects other than mathematics subjects.

Also even students who have a 'loan' of a textbook from the school buy textbooks - these may be other textbooks to supplement or a newer edition etc.
Ive been to 4 highschools. You have to beg to get a loan of a book , other then maths.

The book industry for subjects , would not flourish if it wasnt for that.

And as for my statistics , it was a guess , chill. :burn:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
You're generalising really badly. How can you make that conclusion from your experiences with 4 schools out of like 500+ (?) in NSW?

justmeme

HSC
N/A
foram said:
Does anybody write directly into their Dot Point (physics or chemistry) book or do you just write your answers elsewhere?
yes. much neater then other bits of paper.
and you have all answer together and in order.
-but i suggest to write your own summaries as well.
(dot point changes syllabi slightly.)

HSC
Aplus said:
But you paid good money for it. Don't you want to share it with other years once you finish? It could be re used again and again and shared around.
It's hard to use unless you tear the pages out, they even perforated them for that purpose. And none of my brothers will be doing physics so there's no problem me 'abusing' the book.

If we were talking about a Macquarie study guide or something, sure you'd be careful with it. But the Dot Point series are made to be worked in.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
It's hard to use unless you tear the pages out, they even perforated them for that purpose. And none of my brothers will be doing physics so there's no problem me 'abusing' the book.
I write my answers in a notebook, like I would do for a Mathematics textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)