writing out of lines .. (1 Viewer)

gunat61

HSC
is it true that hsc markers don't mark your work if it's out of the lines? ..

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Markers are told to mark everything the student writes. Some exams, however, are scanned and marked on computer, so you have to be careful not to write too close to the edge or the scanner may not pick it up.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Anything past the border of the lined page is likely to not be seen by the marker.

EDIT: Read this: http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu....nning-captures-everything-written-on-the-page
That is NOT what it says, don't be a scare mongerer.

"Everything on the student writing booklets and/or question-and-answer booklets is captured as a scanned image, whether it is in the lined part, the blank part underneath, above or to the side or even if it is on a completely blank page."

Gigacube

HSC
That is NOT what it says, don't be a scare mongerer.

"Everything on the student writing booklets and/or question-and-answer booklets is captured as a scanned image, whether it is in the lined part, the blank part underneath, above or to the side or even if it is on a completely blank page."
That's obviously why I edited my post with 'EDIT: '.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
OT. But drawing an essay plan can help, as it can give a marker a more clear insight into your argument. However, this isnt marked by the markers I dont think.

michaeljennings

HSC
This is a really good question I hope rafy or a moderator sees this and can give us their answer

enoilgam

HSC
They have to mark all writing which they see. However, I dont think essay plans are marked.

tambam

HSC
Yeah they have to mark everything on the page, but one of my teachers said sometimes stuff gets cut off cos they scan the pages.

And since your essay plan should be handed in with your answer, if you run out of time and can't finish an extended response, the marker can take your plan into account when marking your paper (marks for structure, etc.)

jessxxr

HSC
yeah one of my teachers said to write in the lines as work can get cut out sometimes when it's scanned, that freaked me out big time, i ALWAYS go over or write in the margins :/

x3Reii

HSC
Nope, they have to read EVERYTHING written on your exam paper. Even if it's crossed out. If it's coherent, it will be read and marked.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nope, they have to read EVERYTHING written on your exam paper. Even if it's crossed out. If it's coherent, it will be read and marked.
If it's crossed out, then doesn't that imply that you don't want it to be read? Why would they attach marks to something you've crossed out? If I recall correctly, the only crossed out things that teachers will mark, is in Maths, where if you've crossed something out, but not filled it in with something new.

I've always believed that teachers will mark everything that they feasibly can. Machines are not that smart, though.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If it's crossed out, then doesn't that imply that you don't want it to be read? Why would they attach marks to something you've crossed out? If I recall correctly, the only crossed out things that teachers will mark, is in Maths, where if you've crossed something out, but not filled it in with something new.

I've always believed that teachers will mark everything that they feasibly can. Machines are not that smart, though.

As an HSC marker of many years I can say that if it can be read it will be marked and that includes crossed out work on occasions e.g. a number of years ago I had a response that had about half a page crossed out but if I was able to mark it I could give the student an extra 2 or so marks so I took it to my superviser and was given the go ahead to include the crossed out work.

The thing to remember is that 'read and mark everything you can read and see' and 'remember that this is a first draft under exam conditions and there is no further improvement possible so give as many marks as possible'. These are comments that I have had told to me many times over the years.

minimax_AI

HSC
As an HSC marker of many years I can say that if it can be read it will be marked and that includes crossed out work on occasions e.g. a number of years ago I had a response that had about half a page crossed out but if I was able to mark it I could give the student an extra 2 or so marks so I took it to my superviser and was given the go ahead to include the crossed out work.

The thing to remember is that 'read and mark everything you can read and see' and 'remember that this is a first draft under exam conditions and there is no further improvement possible so give as many marks as possible'. These are comments that I have had told to me many times over the years.
good to hear hsc markers do positive marking i.e. find reasons to give marks rather than take marks

ruchira2122

HSC
i personally went nuts in my hsc exams and wrote everything that was relevant and answered the question. it's not like you'll lose marks for writing too much as long as it's relevant to the question and you don't contradict yourself in your answer.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But you may lose marks another way in terms of losing time to answer other questions and not being able to fully answer them if you have written too much for a particular answer (and hence have spent too much time on them).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But you may lose marks another way in terms of losing time to answer other questions and not being able to fully answer them if you have written too much for a particular answer (and hence have spent too much time on them).

This is so true.

In Modern History we regularly here of students who didn't even attempt the last part of the paper and unfortunately they have done really well on the first three sections and then get zero for the last one - so a mark that was looking good at say 70/75 isn't so good at 70/100.

Plan you time - 9 minutes per 5 marks for a 3 hour paper.

Now of course you might gain time but stick to your actual times rather than go 10 minutes over on the first one and get 25/25 but not do as much on the fourth getting 10/25 - not as good as 20 and 20 but what happens way too often. If you finish early then you can go back and finish but if you are starting a question with only 20 minutes to go for a 25 mark essay you simply won't write enough or well enough to get high marks.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
To further reinforce what cem was saying - another way of putting it is this - the first 10 marks are so much easier to get then the last ten marks.

You really don't need much to get 0-10. But to get from 11-20, is much more difficult.

So if you're tossing up between spending 5 more minutes on that first essay because you want to make it perfect - don't. Move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)