WTF? Books?? (1 Viewer)

Currybear

HSC
Alright, now that i've got your attention. I need help!

I need to go and buy some books for Physics, 4U math, Economics, Software Design development & english advanced.

What would you guys recommend cause they're soo many to choose from or where to buy them from ( PM, me dont flood this thread with offers )

SO. Which did you find the most beneficial/ detrimental

Thanks Heaps!!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I suggest getting any books you want cheap from the yr 12s this year, I saved lots of money just buying one Yr 12s all books just in bulk for my subs. Secondhand prices way more affordable than RRP! And most subjects the 2012 edition is just as good as the brand new one.

Aysce

HSC
4u maths - I used Terry Lee and Coroneos. Personally I found them much better to use than Cambridge, whose 4u counterpart isn't all that compared to 3u.

studybot

HSC
Well I suggest getting any books you want cheap from the yr 12s this year, I saved lots of money just buying one Yr 12s all books just in bulk for my subs. Secondhand prices way more affordable than RRP! And most subjects the 2012 edition is just as good as the brand new one.
Crazy true!
I've seen people sell them for $15-20 when in store they're like $35 or more.
Most of the time they're in still good condition.

gayforniall

HSC
Uni Grad
Well for Physics, Physics in Focus is a pretty good textbook. I bought a copy for myself but I never ended up using it... because my school ended up buying them too.

Rawf

HSC
For eco get the 'Australia in the globoal economy' book by leading edge (Tim dixon & john o'mahony)
As for english... I don't think you need an actual text book. You can just borrow some books on your texts from the library/find info online or buy the student resources book from BOS with the band 6 responses.

deswa1

HSC
Do the year 12's at your school come back and sell books? They're probs the best people to get them from. For example, the Success One books are like 50 bucks in store, people sell them on BOS for like twenty or whatever, I got them for like $5

nightweaver066

HSC
Agreed with Aysce for 4U Maths!

Physics - In2Physics & Jacaranda

I was just looking through In2Physics its so colourful and nice lol.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Seems like all your subjects have been covered except SDD. Many people in the state use the Sam Davis textbook. But there is no better substitute for learning algorithms than learning a language. Also if you really enjoy SDD you should take a look at Comp Sci textbooks from overseas.

oh well

Banned
HSC
N/A
Seems like all your subjects have been covered except SDD. Many people in the state use the Sam Davis textbook. But there is no better substitute for learning algorithms than learning a language. Also if you really enjoy SDD you should take a look at Comp Sci textbooks from overseas.
Cambridge University, London

Currybear

HSC
Thank you all soo much for you responses :)

would you guys recommend Dot point or cambridge for physics? Pros and cons would be much appreciated

and are all the past paper books pretty much the same ( buy the cheapest one?)

Currybear

HSC
I assume you take SDD, are there any exercise books out there?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Thank you all soo much for you responses :)

would you guys recommend Dot point or cambridge for physics? Pros and cons would be much appreciated

and are all the past paper books pretty much the same ( buy the cheapest one?)
I'm going to say neither, just look at past papers and trial papers once you have learnt the theory.

cookeemonstah

HSC
Well for Physics, Physics in Focus is a pretty good textbook. I bought a copy for myself but I never ended up using it... because my school ended up buying them too.
'Physics in focus' is by far the best physics textbook out there. For past papers, buy 'Success one physics'.

Rawf

HSC

CaffeineMotor

HSC
What texts are you doing for Eng Adv? There's also a few good guides for English such as 'Nelson Belonging' - Talks about what markers are looking for, ideas and concepts within belonging and can just help give you an edge over class.
For Mod B IF you're doing speeches then 'Top Notes: Speeches Eng Adv' is the way to go, that book almost did everything I needed for Mod B.

And if you need any essay help then, 'HSC Essay Writing Revealed' by Avi Michael I find helps as it lays out some ground rules and just some questions you should be asking whilst writing an essay to ensure it covers most things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)