wtf is this cable from stock deck (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
hey guys
i installed a deck in my car all went well except reception is a bit shit in some areas for the station that i mainly listen to. its the best i can get out of it, nudging the antenna connector doesnt help the reception so maybe somethings jst not right.
anyways there's all the normal cables (accessories, ground, speakers etc all that shit grouped together) and the antenna cable, coaxial or someshit?

but there's also this other cable, its wrapped up in this sticky carpet shit (like the rest) haha and it was a bunch of silver wires twisted and connected to this nut and connected to the stock deck (far away from where the speakers or antenna wires go)
knowing me i just ripped it off and theres no where to put it in the new deck so i left it, oh well but could that be something that is screwing me over with the radio reception?? its a bmw e46 coupe
thanxxx

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking it might be connected to another part of your e46 system like a security function or steering wheel controls or something? I remember when my cousin modified his e46, there was a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff like the transmission module blocking you from taking the key out or something when you modify the auto. It might even be part of the telephone integration kit.

... actually, you sure that's not a grounding cable?

Pace_T

HSC
yeh i think it might be a grounding cable from the antenna after reading up on it on other forums..... so ill connect it to something metallic at the back of the deck tomorow see how that works out

pottsy44

HSC
most probably a grounding device if its squashing wires to a metal base as you described.

on a side note you do what i do and just rip cables out and throw them away haha.

Pace_T

HSC
i treated it like a ground wire but it didnt do anything
but its in a black plastic tubing n then a mesh and then in clear tubing and then copper wires in it
almost like the antenna cable except it has copper on the inside
weird...

pottsy44

HSC
Pace_T said:
i treated it like a ground wire but it didnt do anything
but its in a black plastic tubing n then a mesh and then in clear tubing and then copper wires in it
almost like the antenna cable except it has copper on the inside
weird...
"black plastic tubing" that is definately a ground cable. ground is just about always black.

try checking that there is no wires crossed ie postives touching negatives.

Uncle Jonny

HSC
Yeah, that was my first thought too. Are you sure its grounded correctly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)