Xbox360... will it drop in price? Worth buying? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I got mine from Amazon shipped via a mail forwarder. Cost me about $730 all up including mail and forwarding fees.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
I hope these Elites are stable.
Another friend of mine has told me his 360 has broken down, how is Microsoft getting away with this all?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
... because their rate of faulty consoles is at the industry average for all electronics (around a 2% return rate).

The elites will be as stable as the normal 360, which is very stable

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
What console gets released a fan as an optional accessory to keep the console at a functional level?

That makes 3 people I know whose laser has completely crapped out on them, within the year warranty. Hold on, didn't you have to send yours in for repairs too stas?

Which is weird, I mean the original xbox was more than sturdy.

For the record, Microsoft Rep is sticking to the 3% failure rate:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/08/moore-dont-focus-on-xbox-360-failure-focus-on-repair/

stazi

Nightman
HSC
actually those fans were for people who run them on carpets and thus causing them to overheat. The fans aren't actually required, they're simply a way for 3rd parties to get money from silly consumers.

And if you're asking which console gets released a fan as an optional accessory, the PS3:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/usb+powered-peripheral-prevents-ps3-overheating-250985.php

The laser? huh? the laser is the least common problem with the 360, I think you're thinking of the slimline ps2. The most common problems seem to be with the graphics processor.

And yes, mine did break and was replaced quickly. Coincidently, I know many people who never had a problem with their 360. I also know people who have had problems with the 360.

And sorry, that's the standard failure rate around 3%, not 2% as previously stated.

Here's a good poll:

http://xboxworld.com.au/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1127

Have you had issues with your 360?
1 dead console: 5 people
1 dead console that needed replacing: 8 people
Some minor hardware issues: 7 people
No hardware problems: 46 people

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
That's all good and true, but let's just say ">1 dead console" and "1 dead console which needed replacing" are considered to be dud consoles.

Add up the percentages and you get a whopping 19.7%!

EDIT: didn't about the graphical processor being the main problem, but I assumed my friends had problems with their laser, it was making all kinds of unpleasant noises and games refused to load.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah im not sure why there were those two separate categories. I assume the 1 dead console thing means that the console dies, but comes back to life again.

wait.... did your friends run the console vertically, and move it to the horizontal position. that's the reason why the failure rates were initially inflated. people's drives were getting pwned because of this, even though the manual says not to move it between positions whilst its on.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
hmm I'm not too sure, everytime I was over two of them were locked up in a cabinet vertically, so I assume they didn't move from that position. The other, maybe, the fellas a bit shoddy between you and me.

>1 dead console = more than one dead console I think

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ohh, replacement consoles are often refurbished, thus errors are more likely to occur with these.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well, it makes sense. they're not going to send you a brand new console unless its within 30 days. so they'll either repair yours (i.e. get a refurbished one) or to minimise turnaround time, by sending someone else's repaired console (i.e. a refurbished one)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Was more of a comment on the "increased chance of errors in refurbished consoles" you made. I mean, there's been a lot of people bitching ("over the internetz", mind you) about having to go through multiple 360s through the past couple of years.

Experience from my friends have me cautious about picking a 360 up. No doubt it's the best console out there at the given moment and I will cave and get one soon, here's to hoping mine's not a dud.

btw stas, I won't be downloading any demos of 360 games, just a handful of xbla games I've got my eyes on. Will a 20gb drive be enough for this, and saves as well?

phew

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh most definitely! even with demos, 20gb is enough. why wouldnt you be downloading any demos, though? free games, as far as im concerned :p

which xbla games are you thinking about?

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Worms
Lumines Live!

TMNT, Smash TV, Contra and all those other arcade ditties I'd add to the list, but I've got me trusty modded XBOX for that. Online would be pretty sweet though, I'd imagine...

And a handful of games comming over the horizon:

Street Fighter II HD Remix (!!!!)
Ikaruga
Metal Slug
Every Extend Extra
Bomberman LIVE

awesome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)