XP install not discovering 2nd HDD (1 Viewer)

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
So In my lovely new computer are 2 Seagate 500GB HDDs.

1 is in 1 partition for programs etc with Windows 7 as the main operating system

The other is in 2 partitions. 1 is a games partition that will all be moved to a SSD when I have the money.

The other is space I allocated to install XP because I need a 32 bit operating system to run some outboard hardware that is incompatable with 64 bit.

This is the same setup I was running in my laptop before it got cancer.

But on this computer XP won't register the 2nd Hard Drive or its partitions.

It registers fine in the bios. Windows 7 picked it up perfectly well... any ideas for why XP isn't, because I'm out of ideas.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Make sure it is has the latest service pack installed first, because vanilla XP did have problems with hard drives and space.

Have you installed XP on the HDD with the two partitions, cause if you have then it is wierd that it can't see its own hard drive.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I have a small idea but dont hold me on it working.

Go into bios and see if its there, if so set it to your main drive.

Next boot from disc (Win XP) and hope it installs.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Sounds like a plan... although I'm currently having bigger issues...

Such as Windows 7 being corrupted by registry defraggers. Apparently the 64-bit version has had a lot of problems with this issue. I'll put a post up as a warning.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I had this problem. It's just that XP booted from the CD can't detect these for some reason. Only when installed and updated with SP1(or 2) can the other partition be detected. Which is fuckin' stupid btw.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Remove the HDD with the 7 install and try and install XP while there is only one drive in the PC. If it still can't install, try a different HDD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)