• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

y ozis dont like soccer...they r more interested in damn rugby and cricket (1 Viewer)

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sammeh
AND DAMN FIFA WONT GIVE OCEANIA A DIRECT QUAL TO THE WORLD CUP!!!!! BACK STABBING BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!
Thats a good thing. The world football community wont learn to respect us if we get a free ride. We have to actually prove we are worthy of making it there on our own. If we cant beat teams like Ecuador, Venezuela and Bolivia then we dont deserve to be in the final 32.

And please, don't call this game "soccer".. it really is a somewhat spiteful word, call it futebol, calcio or even 'wogball' if you must, but not that word, 'soccer'.. urgh

^___^
HSC
haha, not a fan of Blatter, fucken hate that bastard...he got into that Rio Ferdinand business and fuck him, The FA was in a wrong at first...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, Farina at least this time will prepare the Socceroos more than last time.

And it is true that if we can't beat the fifth South American team, we don't deserve to progress.

On another note, we have the quality to beat their fifth best, provided it's not Arg or Brazil...

^___^
HSC
fifth place..really hard to tell in the S.Americ cos those teams (majority) are very inconsistent..so its wayyyyyyy too early to tell who we are playing...

but i dunno bout playing South America...i think the mini competition of having a fifth s.american team, a european, australia and asian team to fight for one or two spots seem to make more sense since it generates more money!!(which is what FIFA wants)

Argentina and Brazil should make the first two..neither will choke...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
well...for me:
1) i cant stand cricket, i would prefer to watch the grass grow
2) soccers for punces that cant handle contact (but damn their sexy) (i guess im going to get yelled at for this...ok, let me correct myself. soccer players are talented and all...but what is the point of a sport that you cant have contact in?? this is my same opinion for all non contact sports)
3) i love league, its what ive been bought up on, its virtually all i know. i got into the rahrahs a bit with the world cup, and i cant stand aussie rules.

^___^
HSC
haha...but think about this..soccer, serious injury can make a player out for an entire season...the ligament damage caused in soccer can be so great that compare to league, i think soccer can be a 'dangerous' sport...

i ain't saying this to make soccer as it was a more physical game then league or union or afl..but whenever ppl say soccer is for male pussies who can't stand to be touched, u should see those injuries that players face..common injuries that soccer player face are broken leg, broken ankle, ligament damage, torn muscle...sounds scary sometimes..but haha...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Soccer is a different style of sport. And it requires a different style of skill. It more internationally recognised because you don't have to be big and strong to have a fair chance (although those characteristics do help in soccer).

sammeh

football is <b>theoretically</b> a non-contact sport. go watch a game, or better yet, go play a game of football and see if you arent touched at all over the course of the game. its like basketball, which is also a non-contact sport in theory, but has an enormous amount of contact involved, especially in defence.

anyway, having played both games, i can tell you that football will leave you waaaay more physically exhausted that league. just cos u dont get group hugged by other men all the time, and then go take a shower in the locker room with them, doesnt mean that it is any easier on your body. the misconception that its somehow "wimpy" is really funny, cos you know that anyone who says that has obviously never played the game for real :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
'Thats a good thing. The world football community wont learn to respect us if we get a free ride. We have to actually prove we are worthy of making it there on our own. If we cant beat teams like Ecuador, Venezuela and Bolivia then we dont deserve to be in the final 32.'

But how many teams do deserve to be in the final 32? It is far from being the best 32 in the world.

It isn't a free ride into the World Cup. As a full confederation, Oceania REQUIRES a direct entry spot, as otherwise there is little point in it existing as a separate entity. Becoming a part of the Asian confederation would solve many of our problems, although it doesn't seem as though they are willing to accept Australia and New Zealand...

^___^
HSC
going into Asia is good...cos of the money and the fact we get to play games..yes, thats right, GAMES!!

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Generator
'Thats a good thing. The world football community wont learn to respect us if we get a free ride. We have to actually prove we are worthy of making it there on our own. If we cant beat teams like Ecuador, Venezuela and Bolivia then we dont deserve to be in the final 32.'

But how many teams do deserve to be in the final 32? It is far from being the best 32 in the world.

It isn't a free ride into the World Cup. As a full confederation, Oceania REQUIRES a direct entry spot, as otherwise there is little point in it existing as a separate entity. Becoming a part of the Asian confederation would solve many of our problems, although it doesn't seem as though they are willing to accept Australia and New Zealand...
We dont "require" a direct spot.. FIFA can do whatever they like, they are the governing body. The absolute least they can give us is half a spot, which is what they have. This is fair, because Australia is the only country that can actually pull its weight in this confederation. If we had, say, a few more competitive countries in this confed, then we would get a full spot, but there is too much pressure from bigger confed's for the half spot. And as i said before, if we cant beat the Latin Lightweights (or Iran etc. for that matter) then we shouldn't deserve a free ride to the WC every time its held.

Joining the Asian confed would mean easier teams/more games, but do not underestimate the quality of Japan, South Korea and even China. In a few years, the speed that football is growing in the orient, do not be surprised if sides like S.Korea and Japan are among the strongest on the planet.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Those teams are far from lightweight, especially after long qualifying programmes. Oceania was in the recent past a minor confederation, however when FIFA granted it full status it required a direct entry spot as otherwise there is no point in it existing as a separate entity. Also, FIFA cannot just do whatever it likes if it makes a point of promoting the game in 'developing' regions yet fails to treat Oceania with the respect it deserves.
It is far from a free ride for Australia, too. We aren't the only 'power' in this confederation.

My point regarding Asia has nothing to do with easier games, but more games, as ... pointed out. Through a proper qualification programme our team will be prepared, rather than the current garbage that we forced to deal with. In that way we could also deal with failure to reach the World Cup, rather then be caught up with a single defeat that ruined our chances of qualification.

edit: I can see the point that you are trying to make. It's a bit of a bastard that political factions dictate the agenda of what is meant to be the governing body of the world's greatest game. But that's the reality, so all that I can really do is complain.

I'd prefer to see Oceania play through Asia, too, rather than it be given a single spot as a separate confederation. However, if we were to get that spot it would be a great bargaining piece to use in any negotiations regarding the inclusion of Oceania into Asia...

Last edited:

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Yeah, i hate the politics too.. ive gotten caught up in them while discussing this qualifying thing. All i want to see is some football without Sepp Blatter getting involved...

Q: Does anyone know how long Channel 7 hold the rights to Socceroos games? After the Aus-Jamaica fiasco i hope they never touch a football game again - ad breaks DURING the game, commentators who nothing about the game and proceed to dribble on about Harry and Viduka like they were the only two players in the whole of Australia and the most importantly the absence of Martin Tyler :D

It would be a travesty for 7 to show the qualifiers for 2006. I would also say they are a reason why football in this country continues to lag behind the more bonehead codes.

juggernaut

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Btw, I'm not sure about this, but soccer is the most widely played sport in the country.
i believe volleyball is actually.....

Generator

HSC
N/A
Junior participation rates is what flyin' was referring to, I believe, although I think that Netball still holds the top spot.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
get rid of the football kingz. bloody useless they are. soccer in nz will never be big.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by juggernaut
i believe volleyball is actually.....
Originally posted by flyin'
'sif people play volleyball all year round!
Originally posted by Generator
Junior participation rates is what flyin' was referring to, I believe, although I think that Netball still holds the top spot.
juggernaut was kiddin' weren't they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)