Year 11 Economics Assessment Task (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Well I have an Economics Assessment Task coming up and I need all the help I can get with the following extended response question:

Discuss the factors which cause changes in Supply and Demand. Explain the concept of price elasticity of demand and its relevance to producers and governments.

How would I answer the question? E.g. Extension, Contraction, Increase, Decrease.

All detailed responses and tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

Last edited:

11kloseboy

HSC
N/A
The supply changes if the price changes. Lets say If the price decreases the demand goes up but business knows that they won't make much profit so they only supply a small amount. The government only intervenes by tarrifs and taxing. The factors changes if their is an input of new technology or natural resources. Hope this has been helpful for you

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
11kloseboy said:
The supply changes if the price changes. Lets say If the price decreases the demand goes up but business knows that they won't make much profit so they only supply a small amount. The government only intervenes by tarrifs and taxing. The factors changes if their is an input of new technology or natural resources. Hope this has been helpful for you
Thanks kloseboy :). Still looking for more answers :D.

HSC
This should be covered by your textbook sufficiently, it's just discuss and describe, no analysis.

Remember you only use increase/decrease when the curve shifts, expansion/contraction apply to movements along the curve.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
In Year 11 Tim riley economics 2008 the factors affecting supply are on page 117-118, factors affecting demand on page 103 and price elasticity of demand on page 108. If you don't have the book i'll try scanning it.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
basically any changes to price cause expansionary or contractionary differences. In terms of demand and supply, anything other than price change causes the entire curve to shift. for example:

Increase in demand: (shift to the right)

1. a rise in the price of substitues
  2. a fall in the price of complements
  3. a rise in income
  4. changes in tase, preferences or fashion in favour of the good
  5. population increase
  6. favourable change in composition and age distribution of the population
  7. favourable change in income distribution
  8. favourable change in consumer expectations
  9. favourable technological change
As for decrease in demand, it is literally the exact opposite of what I said. Change all the rises to falls, all the favourables to unfavourables =)

Supply is very similar, increase is caused by :

1. a fall in the price of other goods
  2. a fall in the price of factors of production
  3. technological advance
  4. favourable change in producer preferences
  5. optimistic producer expectations
  6. increase in number of firms in the industry
  7. a "good" season.
As for descrease, the exact opposite. This is all from notes I took from a hand-out.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
If you're referring to me Devouree, then no problem. I wish I had the source of my information so I could cite it, by no means am I responsible for it all

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon you have a bit too much too memorize for supply.

penny.sullivan

HSC
ommg i was about to ask about that same question - im having alot of trouble too!!!
help anybody!!!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Explain the concept of price elasticity of demand and its relevance to producers and governments.

Well I explained the concept of the price elasticty of demand, but I can't seem to answer the 'relevance for producers and governments' in great detail. A little help? thx. Here's my answer:

Relevance for producers and governments

Price elasticity of demand is relevant for producers in being able to predict how changes in prices will affect their total revenue and profitability. For governments, knowledge of the price elasticity of demand is important in predicting the impact of indirect taxes on prices, demand and taxation revenue.

Price elasticity of supply is relevant to producers in being able to respond to small changes in price by altering their level of output. Consumers will also be affected by the price elasticity of supply, since firms or industries that have relatively inelastic supply will not be able to alter supply in the short run due to small changes in price.

Should I add the price elasticity of supply as well, even though it's not really related to the question, as it asks for demand ONLY? But they are related to each other if you get what I mean...

Sorry about all these questions lol. In a panic mood now. Thanks.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
This might help:

The price elasticity of demand is important to business firms because they need to understand how much demand would change in response to changes in price, thus allowing it to decide on their optimal pricing policy. If demand was relatively elastic, the firm would know that lowering the price would expand the volume of sales, thus increasing total revenue. On the other hand, if demand was relatively inelastic, the firm could increase the price, which would also lead to an increase in total revenue, since the drop in sales would be less than proportionate. Awareness of the elasticity of demand in different price ranges is important for determining the best pricing policy for a firm and in deciding whether or not to change prices. To that extent, businesses often engage in statistical market research in order to determine consumer preferences and in particular, the price elasticity of the demand for thier product.

The government also needs to understand price elasticity of demand when pricing the goods and services that it provides for the community. Furthermore, it needs to be able to predict the effects of changes in the level of any indirect taxes. These taxes and charges raise the price of the goods affected and the government needs to be able to gauge the responsiveness of demand in order to accurately estimate the amount of revenue they will raise.

This relationship explains why governments tend to charge indirect taxes, such as excise duties, on those goods which have relatively inelastic demand, including alcohol, petrol and tobacco products. On the other hand, if the government were to impose an excise duty on a good for which demand is relatively price elastic, the increase in price caused by the tax would lead to a more than proportionate drop in sales. As a result, the increase in the tax may not raise revenue significantly.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Oh yeah, just do what the question asks you to do - the importance of demand. Not to mention that I can't find a section on the importance of supply. :p

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Continuum said:
Oh yeah, just do what the question asks you to do - the importance of demand. Not to mention that I can't find a section on the importance of supply. :p
THANK YOU CONTINUUM! :D. Good karma will come back to you lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)