• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 here!! (1 Viewer)

Ketaki

HSC
:wave: hey!! i'm wondering what sort of work do u haf 2 put in to get a UAI of 95+?? My parents say u should study like 11 hours every!! and im not even in Yr 12. Plus where should i find time to study 11 hrs when i have other things 2 do e.g.: hw, assignments not to mention eat, dring and sleep.

Please can u tell me what i need to do in order to get my desired UAI!! :) It would really help me alot because right now i'm really don't know what to do.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
those type of hours are silly
just make sure you maintain continuity of your study and revision and make sure you know what you need to learn!
maybe 2-3 hours a night
i dont think i even do that much

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ketaki said:
:wave: hey!! i'm wondering what sort of work do u haf 2 put in to get a UAI of 95+?? My parents say u should study like 11 hours every!! and im not even in Yr 12. Plus where should i find time to study 11 hrs when i have other things 2 do e.g.: hw, assignments not to mention eat, dring and sleep.

Please can u tell me what i need to do in order to get my desired UAI!! :) It would really help me alot because right now i'm really don't know what to do.
I don't think 11 hours a year is not good enough. Your parents are right. I shall recommend 1 to 2 hours a day (365 to 730 hours a year). My recommendations are as follows:
  1. Preliminary is all about getting out of the 'confusion stage'. During your Preliminary year you should be able to know what your strengths are (I am talking about subjects) and what your weaknesses are.
  2. Studying for Mathematics & English everyday is a great idea (Probably one hour for Mathematics and half an hour for English).
  3. Make either a priority list or timetable. Do everything to keep organised.
  4. Don't procrastinate. It's not a good habit. You should know by HSC that procrastination will get you nowhere.
  5. Form your own study routine. Know when you study best and utilise yoru environment.
  6. Ask teachers and get help from friends.
  7. For extra edge, you should study about 3 to 4 hours (covering all Mathematics & English & homework).
  8. Do your homework!
I will put up more if I can think of more. :D

EDIT: I do about 4-5 hours a day even if I don't get to do it everyday. I mainly focus on Mathematics & English as I mentioned earlier. I study about 2.5 hours for Mathematics and 1.5 hours for English. For the rest of my studying time, I do my homework as well as I can. Homework is important.

When I prepare for my exams, I make a specific timetable that I can look at to see what I should do on specific date and time. It's quite helpful, actually. So, do whatever that may suit you. If you force yourself into doing something, you will not find it enjoyable and fun.

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Ketaki said:

11 hours of study everyday? Hmmm:

Come back from school at 3:00pm, work till 1:00am or plus if you arrive from school late. What happens to homework and assignments which are not classified as study?

Are your parents mad or are you over-exaggerating? They're not realistic. It's not about studying for example 6 hours straight, but studying 'smart', such as taking breaks between time intervals and getting refreshed so the knowledge can easily be stored and retained.
Listen to Lyounamu's advice above. And once he told me:

Consistency is the key to success

I have that hanging on my wall Namu btw :)

adidasboy

weee
HSC
What time do you sleep and wake up? I can't seem to fit 4-5 hours. Only 3 hrs, not including h/w.

4pm - get home, homework
6pm - Dinner
7pm to 9.45pm - Study
9.45pm to 11pm - Workout
11pm to 12pm - Shower, Eat
12pm to 7pm - Sleep

jellybelly59

HSC
wow.... u ppl are bloody amazing...im never consistent with my study till it's a month b4 exams because im constantly distracted when i reward myself with something (e.g jellybelly gets a cookie den wanders off to talk to someone and suddenly sits in front of the tv and dere goes study).... i wish i were more like lyounamu who seems to have an excellent study regime, i would never be able to do it! back to what u said... hahaha man ur parents must think ur some kind of superwoman going 11hrs of study... just be more prepared ( unlike me :( ) and follow the boredofstudies study guides in the prelim section and u should be ok :D

adidasboy

weee
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
wow.... u ppl are bloody amazing...im never consistent with my study till it's a month b4 exams because im constantly distracted when i reward myself with something (e.g jellybelly gets a cookie den wanders off to talk to someone and suddenly sits in front of the tv and dere goes study).... i wish i were more like lyounamu who seems to have an excellent study regime, i would never be able to do it! back to what u said... hahaha man ur parents must think ur some kind of superwoman going 11hrs of study... just be more prepared ( unlike me :( ) and follow the boredofstudies study guides in the prelim section and u should be ok :D
lol Lyounamu = superwomen :lol:
EDIT- oh wait you were referring to Ketaki. still.. lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
adidasboy said:
lol Lyounamu = superwomen :lol:
EDIT- oh wait you were referring to Ketaki. still.. lol
um...

I would rather be superman as I am male. :) :) :)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
EDIT: I do about 4-5 hours a day even if I don't get to do it everyday. I mainly focus on Mathematics & English as I mentioned earlier. I study about 2.5 hours for Mathematics and 1.5 hours for English. For the rest of my studying time, I do my homework as well as I can. Homework is important.
Woah. What UAI are you expecting to get? If you keep that study up you'll get a UAI of 99.9+++.:)

ketaki said:
One thing you have to know is that all prelim work is 'assumed knowledge' for your HSC, so you should be making notes for all your subjects, and if there are things you dont understand, dont just shrug them off, because you may need to know them next year. Also what lyounamu said about maths and english is important. Its important to have a strong basis for HSC maths (no matter what level you are doing). English is also important (as it has to count) so putting in extra work will allow you to refine your essay writting skills, so when you get to year 12 your essay structure is good.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Woah. What UAI are you expecting to get. If you keep that study up you'll get a UAI of 99.9+++.:)
I am not expecting any particular UAI and I won't say I expect such a UAI since I hold no proof. I just wish to measure my potential. I will be happy with any UAI as long as I tried my best.

EDIT: I have an uneasy feeling that someone may ask what my reaction would be if I got lower than 30 UAI.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Well if you keep up the work i'm sure youll do really well.

And just for the sake of it... How would you feel if you got a UAI lower than 30? :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Well if you keep up the work i'm sure youll do really well.

And just for the sake of it... How would you feel if you got a UAI lower than 30? :p
As long as I know that I worked my best and proved my potential, I will be happy with anything (even the UAI lower than 30). However, I believe (or like to believe) that my potential & hard-working approach deserves higher than the UAI of 30. :) :) :)

Ketaki

HSC
Thanx everyone for ur help!! really helped and also made me laugh :)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
As long as I know that I worked my best and proved my potential, I will be happy with anything (even the UAI lower than 30).
Wow, i'm just the opposite. As long as I know that I got the UAI i want, i'll be happy with anythning (even knowing I didn't work my best).

adidasboy

weee
HSC
foram said:
Wow, i'm just the opposite. As long as I know that I got the UAI i want, i'll be happy with anythning (even knowing I didn't work my best).
same, i'm anticipating the feeling of satisfaction when I reach my UAI aim of 95. Wonder what it's like? probably go crazy lol

Ketaki

HSC
and one last question guys, promise!

Which one for Medicine - Sydney or UNSW??

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
adidasboy said:
same, i'm anticipating the feeling of satisfaction when I reach my UAI aim of 95. Wonder what it's like? probably go crazy lol
Me too. I'll proberly just go mad then i'll suicide painlessly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)