Year 11 Physics Practical: Motion and Forces (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Hey all :wave:. On Monday, we have to perform a physics practical on motion and forces. This was the clue the teacher gave us that the prac will be related on. Then we'll be testing the reliability and validity of the experiment.

Would anyone happen to know which practical this is going to be? I'll probably do some research on the prelim physics syllabus and look at every dotpoint until I find something related to motion and forces. And if you don't mind, could you please post up your experiment/report? It'll be great if I have an idea of what we're going to do before hand, so I'm ahead of other students in my class.

Thx ^^.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Razizi said:
Hey all :wave:. On Monday, we have to perform a physics practical on motion and forces. This was the clue the teacher gave us that the prac will be related on. Then we'll be testing the reliability and validity of the experiment.

Would anyone happen to know which practical this is going to be? I'll probably do some research on the prelim physics syllabus and look at every dotpoint until I find something related to motion and forces. And if you don't mind, could you please post up your experiment/report? It'll be great if I have an idea of what we're going to do before hand, so I'm ahead of other students in my class.

Thx ^^.
My school did something with gliders on an air slide thing, and another prac with little carts and weights attached to them with string.

With the little carts, make sure the mass of the system is constant, so the extra weights need to be taped to the top of the cart when they're not being used.

jimmayy

HSC
We did something with carts on inclined planes and stuff and used ticker timers

i think this was on motion on force..~

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I only have a prac on momentum. Hope it helps, somewhat.

bored of sc

HSC
Just remember that reliability is the reproducability or consistency of the results and validity is whether the results conform to the truth/accepted values.

You should be fine if you have a good practical technique and remember experimental write-up structure and terminology (don't forget raw and processed data if applicable).

P.S I reckon that the hint suggests you will be given values for something say acceleration of certain object, then you have to carry out the experiment and compare your values with the theoretical (the ones given) values. If the theoretical values are similar to the experiment values than the experiment is a valid test of the hypothesis (theoretical value) and if you were to do the test more times and continue to get the same results than it is fair to say the experiment is reliable (the experiment could be reliable if you kept getting the same wrong values).

Just a suggestion - probably won't be that though.

Last edited:

Pink Oni

HSC
Could it be a practical on Centipetal Force and Circular Motion? My school had to do one where we would fix masses to a mass carrier and swing it around our head.

On the other hand, could it be a practical on F=ma?

Pink Oni

HSC
Aerath said:
F = ma would be more likely I guess. I've never heard of the Centripetal Force experiment - but it sounds dangerous. :p
It is dangerous :D My Physics teacher was laughing at us because we kept on hitting each other in the head with 50g masses. Also, we all looked like we were a part of the Yakuza lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)