• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 School Selection (1 Viewer)

ototot

HSC
I recently applied to North Sydney Boys and Fort Street for Year 11, and got accepted in to both. I have to pick one in the next two days and I don't know which one to pick. Fort Street is closer to my house, so transport is much easier, yet NSBHS is ranked higher. What are some of the good and bad of both schools?

Fiction

HSC
Hey there :)

I don't know much about either school, but unless NSB is like 1+ hours away and fort street in comparison is under 10 mins away, I would personally go with NSB. This is because in my experience (asking friends, being from a selective school etc) as schools go up in rank, they exponentially do better. E.g assuming cohort sizes are approximately the same, a school ranked in the top 5 e.g NSG can get up to 40-50 students scoring 99+ in each cohort. In comparison, a school ranked 6-10, will only get around 10-15 students over 99+. Although ultimately it is individual effort which counts and not school rank, it can be viewed as somewhat easier to score good marks in a better school as you can rely on your cohort.

si2136

HSC
N/A
My friend also get accepted into Fort St but is somehow waiting for the acceptance letter in NSBHS, NSBHS has a better rank and they have roughly the same cohort sizes. Both schools are good, but it's your own choice really :)

blackbird_14

HSC
I hear Fort St's music program is pretty good... But I can't really help you. It depends whether you want convenience (fort st) or if you don't mind the extra travel time to go to a higher ranked school (nsbhs). If you've got early mornings too then you might be waking up, and getting home a hour or so earlier/later than you're used to currently.

jono_jonoson

HSC
I heard the JWT College was a good selective school. They came 0th in the HSC last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)