Year 11 Standard English Marking (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
At our school for Standard English no student can achieve more than 16/20 (80%) in any assessment task just because they do standard english.

Is this normal and more improtantly, fair and just? Share your school's standard english ways. Curious...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's definitely not fair. I've never heard of anything like that in any school before.

selablad

HSC
How do they take the marks off? I'm very curious as to how they would manage to get there, do they take small marks off each question, or do they just randomly take off 4 at the end, how do they calculate it? And wouldn't the test kind of be out of 16 for all the standard kids so it wouldn't matter?

:confused:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But that seriously sucks for the students that do General. But do General students get graded against the Advanced students?

Also, in your latest assessment task, was it that no Advanced students didn't get above 16/20? Or couldn't?

bored of sc

HSC
selablad said:
How do they take the marks off? I'm very curious as to how they would manage to get there, do they take small marks off each question, or do they just randomly take off 4 at the end, how do they calculate it? And wouldn't the test kind of be out of 16 for all the standard kids so it wouldn't matter?

:confused:
I don't know... its just a prejudice our english department has. The best work is given either 16 or 15 out of 20 no matter how good it is. I think they took the whole scaling thing too far... cause the marks get scaled by the BOS anyway. Hmmm... I told one of my friends who does standard to make a formal complaint ---> I hope they do. Hmmm.... :eek: I feel sorry for them... there are some smart kids doing standard but are disadvantaged no matter what the case.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
Aerath said:
But that seriously sucks for the students that do General. But do General students get graded against the Advanced students?

Also, in your latest assessment task, was it that no Advanced students didn't get above 16/20? Or couldn't?
Standard and Advanced students are NOT graded against each other.

In the first task we did the highest advanced mark was 19/20 and the highest standard mark was 16 (or so I've heard).

Another injustice was the two people who got 19/20 were actually intially marked 20/20 but because our english teacher (english coordinator) doesn't believe 20's can be given... he bumped their marks down to 19 automatically. This actually affects ranking quite substainally since their lead as far as marks/percentages goes is made slim, thus making it easier for them to loose that lead.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
I don't know... its just a prejudice our english department has. The best work is given either 16 or 15 out of 20 no matter how good it is. I think they took the whole scaling thing too far... cause the marks get scaled by the BOS anyway. Hmmm... I told one of my friends who does standard to make a formal complant ---> I hope they do. Hmmm.... :eek: I feel sorry for them... there are some smart kids doing standard but are disadvantaged no matter what the case.
maybe its hard to write anything complex about the texts they do in standard. I know some texts are too straight forward to get into anything deep in your analysis. that puts them at a disadvantage.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
At our school for Standard English no student can achieve more than 16/20 (80%) in any assessment task just because they do standard english.

Is this normal and more improtantly, fair and just? Share your school's standard english ways. Curious...
That is just ridiculously idiotic. There is a marking guideline for each exam and it is teacher's duty to adhere to that. They just cannot do whatever they want!!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No offense, that's a pathetic Head of English.

But if Standard/Advanced aren't graded against each other - that makes sense because it doesn't really matter what Advanced kids get. :)

selablad

HSC
The 19/20 thing seems just weird, I mean, you can think of reasons/excuses for why standard students aren't getting 20/20 but that's just odd, what the...?

bored of sc

HSC
selablad said:
The 19/20 thing seems just weird, I mean, you can think of reasons/excuses for why standard students aren't getting 20/20 but that's just odd, what the...?
qft, that 19/20 lowering thing was in advanced and its so unfair - i really have to get my average up cause I got a mediocre mark in the first task and now all I can settle for realistically is 19 cause 20 actually IS impossible to attain

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:

To be honest, that's pathetic. What's wrong with your school's English department? They're being unreasonable if they only allow the student to score a maximum of 16/20 (80%) in Standard English. What happens when the HSC begins?

Someone should complain.

dpospination

HSC
I Agree, that system is higly unfair and derogative. However, Standard students should not despair at your skool, cause come the HSC, once ranks are determined their internal marks which are set to a maximum will not account in the moderation process... also, i thin this is the same for School Cert. Maths, if u do not do Advanced mahs, the highest grade u can get is a B...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
something is definetly wrong with your schools english department

nikitadhami

HSC
hell ye its wrong.

their is a different criteria and syllabus guidelines that standard english have to fulfill then why shud they get marked on the scale of advanced eng when they dunt do it??????

its just stoopid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)